Sign in to follow this  
mjb

Volvo S90 E85 use

Hello all, I have an old 1998 Volvo and just for grins I filled up with Alcohol (E85)--- the car runs great but after a tank full the check engine light came on, The trouble code came up with" over rich on bank 1" I cleared it a couple of times but it comes right back. Fuel milage has suffered 50 less mile per tank, everynow and then a little hard to start in the am. I figure what the hell if it breaks I got my use out of it so I'll use it as a test bed and report how I do.... Any thoughts from anyone experienced with this stuff???--MIKE

Welcome to the sight Mike!

Running E85 on a non-FFV will cause a lean air/fuel mixture.  The cars computer will usually adjust the mixture up to around 40-50% alcohol with no CEL(check engine light).  Some may even go up to 60%, it just depends on the limits set in the cars computer. 

Your code "over rich on bank 1"  means the computer thinks it is adjusting the F/A mixture past what should be normal for a gasoline engine.  Most cars get the "Engine Lean" code.

The problem with running the engine lean is that it will in time cause engine damage.  The easiest thing to do is mix some gasoline in the tank to bring the percentage of gasoline back up.  Try mixing 50/50 of E85 and gasoline to see if that keeps the CEL off.  If that is too much of a pain and you want to use straight E85 than some type of conversion is necessary.

Also after a few tanks of E85 you may want to change out your fuel filter.  Alcohol will clean out all the crap gasoline has left behind.  It all ends up in the filter.  After that the fuel system will stay cleaner than when using gasoline.

Let us know how things go!

I've been in some discussion about engine damage from a lean mixture... Can't find anyone but racers who have damaged an engine thus... Making little horsepower with a normal use engine I don't think it matters much if cooling is maintained. Also the oxygen sensor uses temperature to send signals to LAMDA and E85 is way cooler than gasoline when it heads out the exhaust---- so careful study is in order. My S90 seems to run fine here in Florida, but sometimes takes 2 tries to start in the AM-- after that no problem ! I will change out the fuel filter soon .. The Ethanol websites talk acout the extended benefits of using pure ethanol in your everyday fuel injected car, stating that most cars are using a mix now and don't know it, plus the car manufacturers have removed materials not compatable so that no damage will occur when E100 is used.--- My realization is that there are a bunch of myths out there and it may take mythbusters the TV show to straighten us all out.....--MIKE

. My S90 seems to run fine here in Florida, but sometimes takes 2 tries to start in the AM-- after that no problem ! I will change out the fuel filter soon ..

after all the changes on my Explorer I am also still having am cold start issues mjb..  runs great after 30-60 seconds just the warm up issue.  I think I'm going to simply buy the cold start kit .. the small 1 gallon tank that you fill with gas to start the engine then switch over Alchohol ..

Dan, Have you changed to hotter spark plugs? Just curious--MIKE

Yes I added the Bosch Plt 4's ... I'm hearing they dont last long because they run hot ..some people absolutely hate them ... Google them and you'll see what I mean

Well,I stopped using E85 this past week and filled up with regular gas-- it was cheaper this week, I cleared the check engine light and everything is fine. I ran all week on the gasoline and no lights also starts easily in the am., I have an old volvo a 544  from 1961 to try next--- it absolutely loves hi test fuel... sowe'll have to see what E85 will do for me. By the way , I pulled the plugs on my S90 and borscoped the combustion chamber--- looks very clean-- I will pick back up with E85 use when I get back from vacation--MIKE

Well,I stopped using E85 this past week and filled up with regular gas-- it was cheaper this week, I cleared the check engine light and everything is fine. I ran all week on the gasoline and no lights also starts easily in the am., I have an old volvo a 544  from 1961 to try next--- it absolutely loves hi test fuel... sowe'll have to see what E85 will do for me. By the way , I pulled the plugs on my S90 and borscoped the combustion chamber--- looks very clean-- I will pick back up with E85 use when I get back from vacation--MIKE

Have a great Vacation Mike

hi, talk to frpe82 on http://forums.turbobricks.com

they have made an E85 chip for the odb-II s/v90 cars (b6304fs2).

I know there is potential in this engine.. I once got 242hp on the earlier b6304 (204hp version) just by exhaust and intake mods.. also cat removal (premium fuel).

Fred, as he is called, will now put on bmw headers, larger exhaust, also he has already tuned for E85.

I dont think they sell the E85 tune yet, but if people say they are interested, I'd guess it will go faster in production.

He works in a tuningcompany called HI-Tuning: http://www.hi-tuning.com/

270++hp should be doable, but I dont know if you need the earlier cams for that...