Sign in to follow this  
Guest colchiro

A/F meters

Guest colchiro

Drove 4 hours on E70, my first trip on my newly converted (AutoFFV) Toyota and first long trip on E70. I filled with E85 and calculated that I'm running E84 now so will see how the trip home goes.

All week the engine was taking a bit longer to start than normal (but much better than E70+ when I checked this summer, prior to converting). It's possible I have a bad AutoFFV temp sensor or maybe it's too warm, since I tucked it into a thick rubber "band" that surrounds the radiator hose. Need to play with that. Have a spare I could try too. Anyway, I have concerns that maybe ::) my setup is still a bit lean. Turning the ignition on and waiting a few seconds, seems to help the starting. Everything is stock and the fuel filter is in the gas tank, is expensive and has not been changed. I have 48k miles now and the last 5k, running E60.

I read where someone here had the Split Second ARM1 A/F meter and decided to call and order one, but was told they weren't sure if I had a wide band O2 sensor. I told them it had 4 leads, but I guess the guy there that knows more about this stuff won't be back until Tuesday. I could pay $50 more and get one with it's own sensor, but then would have to have a muffler shop weld that to the exhaust.

Out of curiosity, how do O2 sensors hold up under E85? I assume that E85 could potentially be good at keeping them clean and maybe they would last longer than those run on unleaded. Guess I should pull a few plugs and the O2 and take a visual.

I just have 2 wires on my "92" Toy with 22RE. With 4 wires you might have a heated sensor. I think the ethanol blended fuel helps keep the oxygen sensor clean since I'm still using my original at 113,000 miles and have run mostly 10% and for the last 6 and 1/2 years 50% ethanol.

I really like my ARM 1.

Guest colchiro

Sounds like many vehicles newer than '98-00 use a wide band 02 sensor. I missed buying a new Split Second ARM1 on eBay by a few minutes and it sold for $40, much cheaper than the usual $130 price, but then found a private party selling one for $50 with free shipping. Sounds like this unit will need it's own sensor ($70) welded to the exhaust since it's probably not compatible with the stock sensor in newer vehicles. Still need to talk to Split Second about that tho.

Saw several references to using a sensor behind the cat, but no explanation why.

FWIW, the starting issues lasted about a week until I filled with E85, then went away. Truck runs and starts well now. Now I need a relatively calm day when I'm headed to/from Mpls to check my mileage. 25 mpg to barely 20 isn't quite right IMO, but my tire diameter increased there too.