Sign in to follow this  
indianasolar

Exhaust Gases

I have read somewhere that when you burn E85 you end up with more exhaust gases than gasoline. Is that true? If so, how much more %.

I have a 3.5L engine. Will it sound bigger when I burn E85. I think it sounds "deeper" when burning E55.

Any thoughts?

Yes it is true, but I don't have the specific increase ready at hand. You can figure it out if you are handy with chemical equations and balance an equation for a pure hydrocarbon and ethanol. You will end up with more mol's of gas in the ethanol equation for a fixed amount of air consumed.

Larry

I've also heard of this, but I dont know the exact amount.  My thoughts on my project were to add headers, and increase the exhaust tube diameter to 2 1/2" from 2 1/4".  I figured that would be close enough.

I would say, add headers and step up your exhaust tube diameter to the next size.  That should cover it.  If you're really ambitious you could change cams as necessary.  I would think one with more duration on the exhaust than on the intake would work well.