Sign in to follow this  
cessna

Spray plane pilot from Montana visits Brazil

This from Supercub.org forum I like also. For those that don't know airplane terminology--- TSIO=turbo,supercharged,fuel injected,opposed cylinders and IO= injected opposed. 59 180 = 1959 year model Cessna 180---that's four years newer than mine.

ag-pilot

Supercub.org Supporter II

Supercub.org Supporter II

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: fuel Reply with quote

Marty, Yes most of the guys flying the cessna/IO520s or pawnee/IO540s are starting on AV100 then running all day on pure cane ethanol. The guy I was with has 8 Cessna 188s, with everything from a Husky with a TSIO520 to a AG-Pickup with a IO470 he runs them all on ethanol unless he is flying over the jungle alot. He also seeded grass on several million acres of newly cleared land for cattle grazing with a 59 180 with a hopper in the back. He claimed that they were still having a few water in the ethanol problems so did not fly over big expanses of rain forest unless they had at least a av/ethanol blend.

Dave

Thanks Cessna- were they running straight hydrous or straight anhydrous alcohol (regarding his comment of flying over the rainforest and water issues)? Can we assume they are running hydrous (wet) due to it being more common in Brazil?. Most of these planes fuel tanks would be open vent to atmosphere wouldnt they? (vs today's sealed automotive systems)

1outlaw, I'll see if I can find out what form of ethanol it was. They have to use 200proof when making their 25% ethanol fuel and the 190 proof when running it straight in the cars, am I correct? Anyway I always thought it was 200 proof for the planes. You are correct that the vent  is open and pointed into the wind to create a little pressure. Read somewhere that the guy selling auto fuel STC's for planes that hates ethanol said a fish spotter said after several hours of flying with some illegal 10 % fuel in his tanks thought that he picked up so much moisture from the air that the engine was running poorly. This makes no sense to me as I don't think there is that much exchange of air other than that replacing fuel as it is being depleted from the tank. Any thoughts on that?

Marty

Cessna,

The position of the tank sump drain in most wing tanks allows for MOST of the water in the tank to be drained

prior to flight. I think the small amount of water that remains in the tank starts the process of bringing residual water in

the E10 and the incoming air from the tank vent to collect again at the bottom of the tank. I'm like you , tho. I doubt there'd be that much moisture present in the air to push the water level beyond the fuel outlet(to the engine) in just one flight. More likely, the pilot didn't properly drain ALL the water out of the sump drain. A common mistake. Why there's a difference between the sump drain position and the absolute bottom of the tank is a mystery to me. I should think you'd

want to be quite sure  ALL contamination , or non-combustibles would be outta there..

Pipers also have a sump drain just ahead of the electric fuel pump, I believe, so there's another chance to catch H20

before it causes trouble, but I'm not sure what happens in all the Cessna singles..