Sign in to follow this  
indianasolar

Full Flex with temp. sensor.

Indiana I just spoke with Alex over at FullFlex..he is the one that actually "spec'd" the cold start ..but they pulled it off the market because of software issues.  The brazillian site just hasnt removed it from their site yet.. the software issues with cold start sensor is being worked on though..

Thats the jist of it ..

They are still working with the EPA and their unit was also the one that was shown last night on WCCO News in Minneapolis ..the Governor is pushing to allow these conversion kits and Mankato States has been doing teh research for the State ..

the Video..

http://wcco.com/seenon/local_story_260225829.html

The news coverage you quoted opens some interesting questions. Do you have any feed back from the folks at Mankato States regarding EPA's view on conversions?

Do they appear to be moving towards a rational alternate to the process based emissions system enforcement we currently see that prohibits (either outright or through exessive testing and fees) any reasonable attempts to improve emissions on existing cars and or convert them to flexible fuel or full time alternate fuels like E85?

I am hoping someone like the folks at Mankato state can put a bug in the right ears that there are simple alternatives to the current emissions processes, and if they just open the door a small crack and give small garage operators a legal path to follow that a small business could actually afford!, that alternate fuels are reasonable for most everyone.

I personally would gladly submit to an annual IM240 test for emissions and pay a small waiver fee to be allowed to do anything I want to my car as long as it passes IM240 test standards on the dyno. It would be a win win for everyone. The EPA would gain a new revenue stream, the emissions test facilities would get more work. The number of folks that would actually opt to use the waiver system would statistically be trivial compared to the vast numbers that would just go with the current system. It would open the door to innovation by small operators that might find new ways to cut emissions and improve fuel milage on E85.

I don't see any down side to it that is meaningful.

Larry

The news coverage you quoted opens some interesting questions. Do you have any feed back from the folks at Mankato States regarding EPA's view on conversions?

Do they appear to be moving towards a rational alternate to the process based emissions system enforcement we currently see that prohibits (either outright or through exessive testing and fees) any reasonable attempts to improve emissions on existing cars and or convert them to flexible fuel or full time alternate fuels like E85?

I am hoping someone like the folks at Mankato state can put a bug in the right ears that there are simple alternatives to the current emissions processes, and if they just open the door a small crack and give small garage operators a legal path to follow that a small business could actually afford!, that alternate fuels are reasonable for most everyone.

I personally would gladly submit to an annual IM240 test for emissions and pay a small waiver fee to be allowed to do anything I want to my car as long as it passes IM240 test standards on the dyno. It would be a win win for everyone. The EPA would gain a new revenue stream, the emissions test facilities would get more work. The number of folks that would actually opt to use the waiver system would statistically be trivial compared to the vast numbers that would just go with the current system. It would open the door to innovation by small operators that might find new ways to cut emissions and improve fuel milage on E85.

I don't see any down side to it that is meaningful.

Larry

larry the fact that the Gov of Minnesota is throwing his support behind allowing these conversion kits..providing emissions are clean- is a very good sign that wihtin a reasonable time frame (for Fed Agency) well see the kits the actualy approved .

I suspect that will happen within the next year .. just a hunch

we all use the kits anyway..backyard mechanics, tuners and doodlers  but the real kicker will be when these kits are available at Checker Auto , Auto Zone etc.. and when Sears Auto has the Conversion Kits (installed) on Sale in their Sunday paper adverts  !!  Once the average consumer see's they have an option thats going to really accelerate the demand for E85..

I am concerned that the approval will only directly apply to that specific kit rather than a method. I have already spent some fairly significant money with my home built kit which accomplishes the same as the electronic kit I just increased fuel flow using a different method.

If the approval is that Modifications to increase fuel flow to allow E85 usage is acceptable as long as the car passes a recognized emissions test like the IM240 then I am all for it. If the approval is only for a specific brand of conversion I am not so warm and fuzzy about it.

The current process based emissions regs are smothering innovation and progress on alternate fuels. If they will just move to a results oriented system they would open the door to some major developements that are sitting on the shelf because no one wants to risk their money or time on something that could potentially not only be illegal but could cost them a ton of money if EPA decides to crack down on businesses that do conversions.

Even if they threw the door wide open, the number of conversions would be a fraction of a 1/10th of a percent of cars on the road, so actual impact on overall emissions would be trivial. It has been demonstrated by several studies that most pollution is produced by a very small percentage of poorly maintained cars not the 98% of the vehiclel pool that are well taken care of.

Colorado has already recognized that with their road side screening that allows you to by-pass annual emissions tests if you get 3 good readings in 10 months prior to the expiration of your sticker. Do the same with conversions, if they pass the emissions test standards they are legal end of discussion, end of impossible to enforce regs, end of corruption and back door emissions stickers.

Larry

If the approval is that Modifications to increase fuel flow to allow E85 usage is acceptable as long as the car passes a recognized emissions test like the IM240 then I am all for it. .

Larry

Thats makes sense .. and would be pretty easy to implement

a Federal Standard .. a basic emissions test based as you say on results and not specific conversion device

I just ordered a Fuel Flex Platinum, has Temp. control. I've been running about 50/50 maybe alittle more gas with the winter blend in my '93 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0l for about 2 months now.  I've noticed as it gets colder here (central Wi.) My mileage declines slightly. Today at below zero will be a test point.  5 days ago, I installed a set of Pulstar Plugs 20,000 x the spark for better fuel burning and easier cold weather starts. When I took the Jeep into town after Pulstar change, I really noticed a response difference, before I knew it I was cruisin' at 75.  Now I Have keep in mind to adjust my foot to the better burn. I'll get back to you all later tonight on Starting at below zero.

Love My Linux

Dragonwhip:

Did you buy those plugs over the counter?

I am also testing a set of those plugs. I know the factory rep and if you have good comparison data on your fuel mileage changes on and E85 mix, I would like to see your numbers. If you are keeping good fuel usage/mileage records, PM me and I will pass the info on to the manufacturer.

Larry