Sign in to follow this  
cessna

ethanol and carburetor ice

I'm having a debate on an aircraft forum about carb icing. Straight gasoline and the right atmospheric conditions will cause icing in an updraft carb like airplanes use. I say that 10% or more ethanol fuel shouldn't have the icing problem since antifreeze is basically in the mix as it goes through the carb. What do you think?

Marty

I would think, and this is just my theory, that the ethanol would actually be beneficial in preventing carburetor icing.  Ethanol, especially in the dry form used in fuel, attracts and holds water.  In the carburetor, having it soak up any moisture may actually be beneficial.  After all, look at the main ingredient in fuel line de-icer.

I also think running some form of additionally heated intake air might be a good idea.  You may already be doing this; I'm not familiar at all with the mechanics of airplanes.

rusty70f100 wrote  I also think running some form of additionally heated intake air might be a good idea.

Aircraft with carbs do have a carb heat box which delivers either filtered outside air or air that has flowed past the exhaust system warming it. When ice builds up and chokes the engine you add carb heat but sometimes people haven't noticed soon enough and there isn't enough heat in the exhaust to melt the ice and you have a big problem. I think like you about the ethanol in the fuel and feel carb heat shouldn't ever be needed.

Well, the other part of my thinking was that ethanol doesn't vaporize quite as readily as gasoline, and that some form of heating may help efficiency.  Then again, at the high rpm's and high loading that I would guess airplanes run at, things might be moving quick enough to not have to worry about it.

Just thinking out loud.  I've never even been more than probably 50 feet off the ground, and that was in a building, so I really couldn't tell you for sure.  ;D