Sign in to follow this  
Bow

E85 burning 240SX

Well, I did it.

My 1991 240SX (2.4L, DOHC, 4-cylinder) is now running 100% E85...

I installed some 370cc injectors (from the Nissan factory SR20DET Turbo engine) in place of the 270cc stock injectors.

This engine is a 89mm Bore/96mm stroke engine, so it is a torquey little bastard thing to begin with, but after adding the E85, It is crazy. The Torque band is a lot wider and it pulls like a freight train.

But of course, I discovered a coolant leak... So I can't drive the hell out of it yet...

Cool!  Always good to hear another success.

That was quite a big increase in injector size.  You're probably running a bit on the richer side of things now, even with E85.  But that's quite beneficial in terms of power production, especially with E85.

The Injector install took about 20 minutes, if that... But this isn't my first time swapping injectors and such. I actually swapped the entire fuel rail, because I had a spare.

It closed loop mode, the ECU is keeping it on the lean side of the scale, but in open loop, it isn't running any richer than it did on E10 with the 270cc injectors.

And the worst part is that my little coolant leak seems to have fixed itself before I could find it.. I hate when that happens...

HELL YEAH!

Passed my Emissions test.... I think I'll do a Happy Dance... :D

http://riley-music.com/BowsStuff/240SXWebShots/EmissionsTest.gif

If I had actually told the ECU it was controlling 370cc injectors, I'll bet the HC's (hydrocarbon's) would have been lower... or switched to hotter plugs...

But I'll take this  ;D

A couple degrees ignition advance in the low speed range would have also helped.

E85 engines also seem to run better if you put a slightly hotter thermostat in them so the fuel evaporates better under light load.

Larry

Hmmm...

I had to change a fuel hose tonight... The return from the FPR to the line going back to the tank...

It started leaking like a strainer under pressure...

My garage smelled like rotting corn for a while (I remember that smell from my feed mill working days)

I'm betting the line failed due to age (16 years old) and not E85...

Hmmm...

I had to change a fuel hose tonight... The return from the FPR to the line going back to the tank...

It started leaking like a strainer under pressure...

My garage smelled like rotting corn for a while (I remember that smell from my feed mill working days)

I'm betting the line failed due to age (16 years old) and not E85...

Ummm Bow this didnt have anything to do with the leak did it ..

http://e85vehicles.com/e85/index.php/topic,578.msg4215/topicseen.html#msg4215

:D

Sunday, my friend and I put on the wide band and check my car out for the first time.

I am running E85 fuel and my only modifications were the 370CC injectors (stock is 270cc).

The Air/Fuel ratio is right were it ought to be, WOT is rich for power (12 and change), it idles around stoich, and cruises around 13 (More on that in a bit)... granted all these numbers are for normal fuel, because his wide band doesn't know the difference between E10 and E85.

About that Cruising around 13...

At 68 mph, the RPM and load is well into the "Blue" area on the octane fuel maps and the 5th gear map.. so it should be in a Closed Loop state, but it isn't, it is open loop and reading about 13.5 A/F ratio on the wide band.

So Here is what has been confirmed:

- The ECU goes from Closed loop mode to open loop and about 68 mph

- It will occur at that speed in 4th gear or 5th gear

- Removing the Speed Sensor input to the ECU will solve this problem, which leads us to believe that it is either a design in the hardware, or there is some ROM information we can't see/get too.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I know I can unhook the speed sensor wire to solve the problem, but that also kills the ability to record speeds while data logging.

On a good note, my friend programs a lot of turbo cars, this is his first time messing with a Normally Aspirated motor/ECU program, but he could believe how smooth it idles and how hard it pulls... :)