Sign in to follow this  
Bow

'98 Nissan Frontier - E50 - No CEL

So I was putting some fuel in my Truck Friday and I kind of screwed up my figures in my head... I ended up with more E85 than Gas in my Mix than I had intended...

So I get home and run the numbers, looking like I'm running an E50 mix..

150 miles later, no CEL yet...

;D

On another note, my fuel injectors should be in this week for my '91 Nissan 240SX... It will soon be a corn-burning rice-mobile...  8)  and hopefully get through emissions testing this month...

Engine is a KA24DE, 5 speed tranny, 211,000 miles

It actually runs better on E30, I think it gets pretty lean on the E50 and the ECU pulls timing...

That's with a stock setup I assume? 

I was thinking about a MAF (mass air flow) electrical trick.  Basically, the MAF is read in 80 mV increments by the ecu (or my vg30e nissan does).  So to get the MAF to increase 'air' (so more fuel is added), a voltage adder can be used.

The problem comes from the fact that the MAF output is non-linear.  So as the flow increases, the adder becomes actually less than at lower flow rates.  This could be adjusted by a multiplier so that perhaps vacuum or RPM can increase the voltage adder even further.

An example would be a small knob on the dash that can dial in 80 mV increments based on E ratios.  The MAF signal, lets say 3.080 Volts is now 3.240 Volts (two increments).  A vacuum sensor can increase this further under lower vacuum conditions.

The ecu 'sees' this 'higher' flow rate and adjusts the PWM on the injectors accordingly.  A very simple electronics project actually.

A fore-seeable problem is that injector size 'over-head' is still needed.  In my case, I run a turbo ecu with turbo injectors in a non-turbo engine.  This runs fine on gas and E30 mixtures.  If I go for higher E mixtures, I have plenty of injector overhead (180cc stock injectors replaced by 259cc injectors).  But a stock car might actually 'rail' the injectors PWM (something like 80% duty cycle).  But Ethanol is more forgiving than gasoline so it might not be a big problem. 

My goal is E85 in a V6 9:1 nissan engine.  Closed loop.