Sign in to follow this  
mpersell

What about towing with an FFV?

I haven't looked at the owner's manual yet but I'm curious how E85 will perform in my 07 Ram FFV while towing a 4000 lb travel trailer.

Any ideas or experiences with E85 while pulling a load?  Typical high torque low rpm type loads.

There should be absolutely no difference in the way it tows on E85 compared to gasoline.  In fact, with any FFV, if someone didn't know what fuel it was burning at the time, they'd never be able to tell.  Unless of course they smell the exhaust when the vehicle is started cold.

Thats funny you guys mention thta as someonoe today told me he heard that towing using e85 wasnt suppose to be any good .. 

told him unless the car wasnt tuned properly they shouldnt have any trouble and should even seen an increase in HP because of the higher octane

I saw a test somewhere on the web, where they loaded down a truck on E85 and on gasoline, and there was a substantial drop in fuel milage under load with the gasoline, but essentially no difference in fuel usage on E85.

Goes back to the hard to document effect we see where the engine seems to accept load better when running E85 than it does on gasoline.

Wish I could find the web page on that but so far no joy.

I suspect you will tow just fine!

Larry

Some of the early GM (2002-2003) 5.3 liter engines had a statement in the owners manual about towing with e85 if i recall correctly - it said to use gasoline. I suspect if this is correct it also ties to the tuning- these early 5.3's operated at a lower % difference in e85 vs NL gas and I suspect may have been programmed a little to the lean edge on ethanol for economy. I liked these early versions for their efficiency on e85. My S10 2L though is also programmed to the leaner side at a 12-16% difference in economy- maybe at WOT it is not progammed that way, and with a 2 liter towing i suspect it would be at WOT  ;D There is no warning in the S 10 operator manual about towing on e85 and it has better power on e85 than on gas.

The way the new FFV's are programmed - I cannot imagine that E85 would be anything but better than gas when towing.

Just my opinion ;)

Some of the early GM (2002-2003) 5.3 liter engines had a statement in the owners manual about towing with e85 if i recall correctly - it said to use gasoline. I suspect if this is correct it also ties to the tuning- these early 5.3's operated at a lower % difference in e85 vs NL gas and I suspect may have been programmed a little to the lean edge on ethanol for economy. I liked these early versions for their efficiency on e85. My S10 2L though is also programmed to the leaner side at a 12-16% difference in economy- maybe at WOT it is not progammed that way, and with a 2 liter towing i suspect it would be at WOT  ;D There is no warning in the S 10 operator manual about towing on e85 and it has better power on e85 than on gas.

The way the new FFV's are programmed - I cannot imagine that E85 would be anything but better than gas when towing.

Just my opinion ;)

Thats interesting outlaw and likely the source of the "rumors" ...thanks guys

I tow my 3700# Cuda on a 1500# trailer w/500# of stuff in the box and don't have any problems at all.  In fact, mileage is same as towing with gas.  I suspect the added cylinder pressure under load is taking advantage of the octane/burn characteristics of the ethanol.  Truck is an 01 Dodge Ram 1500 w/5.9.

Reviving a old thread here.....Any new input on this topic. I will be pulling a 6200# dry travel trailer with a 5.3L 2011 Silverado that has only seen Dino gas on its first tank from the dealer. I have mapped E85 throughout the trip so I will burn E85 the entire way.