Sign in to follow this  
1outlaw

2004 Saab 9.3 Aero- anyone pushed it to a CEL yet?

I bought a used 2004 Saab 9.3 Aero. Has anyone tried to push the limit on ethanol in these USA versions? Compression is 9.5:1, I do not know the level of boost yet (gauge is not calibrated). The vehicle is under warranty so I do not plan to push it too far for the next 60,000 miles. It only calls for 90 octane so i will start at E20 (92 octane). I have been told the old 900's would bury the boost needle on 100 octane yet I would rather run ethanol than premium.

Does anyone know if a CEL will self clear on this car if I change my mind and play w/E50-60?

Guest colchiro

Aero? Sounds like that'll fly.... 

Bought new tires and wheels today and now can't sleep.

Does anyone know if a CEL will self clear on this car if I change my mind and play w/E50-60?

If you need to clear a code.  A good way to do it is go to your local auto parts store and see if they will let you barrow a code scanner.  Most auto parts stores around here do this for no fee.  It's a good way for them to bring in business.  Read the code, then if it has been corrected clear it out.

The other way is to unhook the battery for a few minutes then reconnect it.  You don't get to see what the code was but if you already know it, it does the job just the same.

If a code has been corrected it will normally self clear after a number of cycles, but your MPG will suffer until it resets.  It is best to clear it yourself.

I'd bet you can go to 50% and not have a problem. The battery was being drained on the little Ford Aspire before I figured out it was the hatchback light when I left it ajar. Anyway,I was disconnecting the battery every time I drove it and I never had a check engine light even with 30% in the tank.

Marty

Thanks everyone. If I understand- a CEL will clear on this car just like any other vehicles we find in the "States" without leaving a trace that might give me warranty issues. If so- i am happy!

Colchiro- "Aero- sounds like it will fly" I suspect the name in part comes from Saab's involvement in the aviation business. This is not a high HP car- it is though fun to drive. The Aero is a sport version with 17" wheels, low profile tires, sport suspension and mine has a 6 speed manual trans. When you hit 60 mph in second- you wonder what the next 4 gears are for. ;D But then you have to understand it is the first turbo i've owned.

Guest colchiro

Reminds me of my 1985 TransAm (400ci 4 spd). Could drive all day at 100 mph (4,000 rpm). Speedometer only went to 100 so I had to install the '84 speedo, which went to 160. I think the fastest I drove that was racing a 'Cuda for 45 miles on a state 2 lane highway, with gravel shoulders, at 150 mph.  8)

If you're planning to see a few CEL's you could pick up a ScanGauge II. www.scangauge.com

I dont think my little 2 liter could get there as fast as your 400 ci could- you could probably tramp it and just sit there smokin' the tires- at least that is the way the early '70s Cuda a friend of mine had was.

Guest colchiro

With the L60-15's in the back and the highway gears, you would have had a good chance off the line, but I'm sure I would have past you at some point.