Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

Go ahead and laugh.. I bought a 2003 Suzuki Aerio

Yes Dan- the 2005 Ford Taurus FFV fleet car we have has always done better on winter (70%) grade- something in that car's design or programming causes it to like 60-70% mix the best for starting and mpgs. At 60-70% ethanol mpgs run about 1-2 miles/ gal better - about the same affect as oxytane.

interesting outlaw.. any reverse engineering happening in regard to these "sweet spots"

That seems like a extremely promising area of research ..

I'm going to go find that research article again

Ah here it is ..

"The fuel efficiency benefits with E30, shown in Figure 5, point to a potentially attractive fuel from a performance and economic standpoint, for reasons discussed earlier. The full engine efficiency map with E30, given below in Figure 6, demonstrates in greater detail the extent of the higher-efficiency operating range, with peak levels well exceeding that of even the most efficient production gasoline engines [25]

Combined with an optimized conventional drivetrain, the efficiency gain shown in Figure 6 for E30 should yield an estimated 10% to 12% gain in fuel economy, and thus more than compensate for the approximately 8% loss in fuel energy density compared to gasoline.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/presentations/epa-fev-isaf-no55.pdf

We had a discussion of that article here..

http://e85vehicles.com/e85/index.php/topic,810.0.html

duh..  outlaw I went back and read your post and what you were saying yesterday inthe "towing" thread..  it only took me 24 hours for the "eureka" moment to hit me .. or in my case today the "duh" moment..

There is really no difference in my MPG between unleaded and **** E60/E65***  than using unleaded .. and as you were pointing out .it is likely simply because of the lean state the vehicle is in at e60/e65 ....  that rings so true now that I look back at mpg on the explorer as well when I was also running on around e60 .. just didnt notice any difference in mpg .. UNTIL I went full e85

So maybe that is the "key" for mpg with the current vehicles we have .. running just below CEL

Now is it less expensive ..in this case it would almost Always be less expensive running E60/5 than running NL ...

I guess my next question is are we seeing these "sweet spots" at roughly 60% across all makes and models? 

Just seems like this makes so much sense (consumer price consideration ) to run e60 until we start getting "real" e85 vehicles..  This approach could actually increase E85 sales .. 

I of course hate the idea of adding 25% more of the oil companies product BUT price wise it makes a lot of sense (consumer perspective trying to go as far as possible on the least amount of $$ ....  I suspect most newer cars could run on E60 without any conversion .. imagine your sales if that avenue was opened up

which brings us round to..drum roll....  Blender Pumps again ! 

You guys make me want to jump for joy.  I finally found a group that believes in running ethanol.   Cool to see what others have done. 

What did I tell you Furball- Welcome and nobody will bite you here like the "GasBuddies" ;)

You guys make me want to jump for joy.  I finally found a group that believes in running ethanol.   Cool to see what others have done. 

Your right 1outlaw I knew I wasn't the only one doing this.

What did I tell you Furball- Welcome and nobody will bite you here like the "GasBuddies" ;)

Ok ..I burned off about half a tank and added E85 today

I have 8 (7.996) Gallons of E85 and 5 Gallons of Unleaded..  Seemed to run just fine coming back from the Station...I should now in the first 50 Miles if it is going to throw a CEL... I suppose I shoudl go look up if this car even has a Check Engine light  :D

Really fun car to drive but I was disappointed in the City mpg..

Gasoline in the City I got 19.5 MPG ..(was expecting 23-24)

wasnt able to get a hwy test in ..I suppose I probaly should have waited on the E85 until I was able to do hwy

Just an update on this..I filled up today (e85) been running between e55and E60 unconverted ..it reallly really likes that range..runs really well in that area. My city MPG came out to 20.6 ..on E58 is what we calculated  thats almost 1 mpg better than what I got in July last year on Gasoline.. How can that be? 

The only thing I can think of is running the AC in July ?     

The temps here have been basically in the 30's to low 40's lately.. no cold start issues at all ..runs great ..so good Im not sure I want to add bigger injectors to get it up to full E85...but I'm going to anyways  :D

Dan says;

My city MPG came out to 20.6 ..on E58 is what we calculated  thats almost 1 mpg better than what I got in July last year on Gasoline.. How can that be?

I say: Because E85 is great stuff Dan ! ;D

Dan says;

My city MPG came out to 20.6 ..on E58 is what we calculated  thats almost 1 mpg better than what I got in July last year on Gasoline.. How can that be?

I say: Because E85 is great stuff Dan ! ;D

Well thats a given  :D

I know checking mpgs on short trips  40 miles you can get different mpg readings all the time..I always prefer to check from full tank to less than a quarter..kind of evens everything out. ..  It will take me about 8-9 days before I fill again and see if this mpg is right