Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

Obama and Lugar wants every car in America to be capable of running on E85

Just checked in with a friend of mine that keeps up with gov. programs better than me. CRP is the only thing taking the place of crops around the midwest. With corn prices higher the thought is that more farmers will go back to corn production on those marginal acres which probably isn't good in the long run. LDP(loan deficiency payments which are supposed to make up the difference between what the farmer gets paid and what the gov. sets as a target price) are non-existent right now,( just think, a year and a half ago I saw a corn bid on the DTN for a little town in central Iowa for $1.34 at harvest time) so the only gov money I'm probably going to get is the sign up money. The acres that is based on doesn't have to correlate to the acres that farmers planted this year( my base corn acres were roughly half of my total acres since I was in a 50/50 rotation and then you get paid on 80% of those acres). The new farm bill is getting kicked around now and one thing that some are wanting is a $250,000 cap on payments to a single farmer( that won't break my heart since I've never gotten anywhere near that figure in a year). I have quite a bit of CRP and the only way I'll switch out of that is if we can get switchgrass for ethanol going---that soil is too fragile to cultivate and have end up in the Gulf of Mexico.

Marty

I think it's stupid of the manufacturers not to make every vehicle E85 capable.  I have a feeling that Big Oil is mostly behind the reaon why they're not already though.  Like mentioned, it only takes $100 more (and that's probably being generous) to produce a FFV compared to a dedicated gas-burner, and if added to the pricetag of the vehicle, I can't think of anyone who would gripe about $100 on a new vehicle.  Heck, they charge that much for a set of mudflaps! 

It's not like people would be forced to use it either...Use it if you want.  Look at back in '94 when Chrysler made the Dodge Spirit/Plymouth Acclaim FFV.  They ran on gas or M85, but other than a few fleets of government-owned cars, I don't know of anyone that ever ran M85. It just wasn't available.  I've been told that these FFVs will perform just fine on E85 instead of M85, but again, I doubt that anyone's ever done it.  I see a few of those cars running around here, and never see them fueling up with anything but gasoline.

It would be wonderful if there was more of a choice in the FFVs.  Right now, the choices are extremely limited.  Vehicles I'd like to see FFV would be the Ford Fusion, Mazda6, and perhaps some of the BMW line.

Regarding the Dodge Spirit M85 FFVs- I know of a red one and a blue one that are both in a 50 mile radius of you- both live on and drink only the much healthier E85. Both seem to be very happy with them and I bet with their oversized pumps and injectors using E85 that they would be a fun project for boost.

It is not a lack of vehicles.  Its a lack of E85 and a lack of E85 adoption by FFV owners.

In Texas, for example,  there are 750,000 FFVs on the road. There are less than 30 E85 stations.  The stations pumping E85 here sell at 11% less than NL fuel, if you're lucky.  This will not drive adoption either by price or availability.

You are right mpersell- I hope the ethanol plants proposed / or being built in Texas make a decision to facilitate better access and pricing thru either direct retailing or direct supply to station owners. The supply chain must be shorter to prevent additional gross margins and expense which have no value to the consumer, particularly in an oil state such as Texas.

Obama has my vote if he really pushes this.  It's stupid not to mandate the FFV "option" sometime in the next decade...it costs nickels and dimes to do it from the automakers' standpoint, and the ethanol industry would explode if this were to occur...drop the import tariffs on Brazil, and they couldn't grow nearly enough sugar or produce anything close to the amount of ethanol that would be demanded in the US; the "end the tariff" people would finally shut up, and corn would still be viable because the world sugar market would also explode to the upside in a heartbeat, and suddenly high fructose corn syrup will seem cheap at today's prices.  You'd have companies like Pfizer turning into energy companies because of genomic application of microbial-enhanced ethanol production...