Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

Obama and Lugar wants every car in America to be capable of running on E85

The federal government can help in a few ways here, and recently, I introduced the American Fuels Act with Senator Dick Lugar to get us started.

First, this legislation would reduce the risk of investing in renewable fuels by providing loan guarantees and venture capital to those entrepreneurs with the best plans to develop and sell biofuels on a commercial market.

Second, it would let the private sector know that there will always be a market for renewable fuels by creating an alternative diesel standard in this country that would blend millions of more gallons of renewable fuels into the petroleum supply each year.

Third, it would help make sure that every single new car in America is a flexible-fuel vehicle within a decade. Currently it costs manufacturers just $100 to add these tanks to each car. But we can do them one better. If they install flexible-fuel tanks in their cars before the decade's up, we will provide them a $100 tax credit to do it - so there's no excuse for delay. And we'd also give consumers a bargain by offering a 35 cents tax credit for every gallon of E85 they use.

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/

decade? I'd give them 2 years.

I hear you ..

I think they are also looking at how long it will take to get ethanol production up to that level (as well Stations)..to even be able to provide E85 forall those that would choose to use it if "every" vehicle wascapable of running E85

Guest colchiro

Dan, my point is make the cars "capable" within 2 years. They can do the other incentives later.

Dan, my point is make the cars "capable" within 2 years. They can do the other incentives later.

I see ..and since "we" the taxpayer are covering the bill ..no excuses from the auto industry.

I also considered ..ok so they make "every" car E85 cpable ..thenm isnt that an un-necessary expense (to us the taxpayer) since there wont be enough places for everyone to fill up anyways .. but whats the average life of a car (before it'sready as a everyday beater).. 8 years ?  Within that 8 years are we still going to have enough ethanol and Stations ?  (we have enough ethanol now if we'd just drop the E10 nonsense IMO)

I agree with Dan that there would be some hurdles if it was done too quickly. The cellulosic ethanol plants under construction or working are getting very little press for some reason. Talk of subsidizing them with tax dollars gets negative press, but I'd rather subsidize an activity than stagnation for paying farmers not to grow. Make the fuel cheaper as well. Isn't 40% of gasoline cost tax anyway? Take it before-hand and maybe it won't hurt my wallet as bad when it comes time to pay up anyway.

I don't object to taxes, laws, or their enforcement but there is a better way to encourage positive development than sensationalistic outcries of doom. Global warming is the next Spanish Inquisition or witch hunt. We just have clues and don't really know what could happen, though. Neither side is completely sure, but both are good at convincing themselves. We don't know if we'll burn to death, freeze to death, or choke on our own fumes. But the end is coming and we'd better pick some kind of side? The premise of that kind of argument is horribly flawed. Increased CO2, strange weather including moisture, and increased sunlight can mean an explosion in plant growth and elevated humidity, followed by insects and other critters. You don't know just like I don't know, and no one seems to be able to agree on that.

Humans induce change their environment, but change naturally occurs anyway. We're not going to off ourselves from the face of this rock that quickly. We might pay for a mistake or two but I don't fall asleep at night thinking the end of the world is nighe. There is debate and there is optimism as well as doubt. If we can get past the debate and produce real results I think we'll amaze ourselves. Getting in a panic is the mistake, IMO. You just lose focus that way.

Although a quick increase in number of FFV would spar the free market of ethanol.  The main reason cellulose ethanol plants haven't yet taken off is they are not sure of the demand.  They are not sure if they will loose their shirt over it,  price will control demand.  Demand will drive private investment.

The electrical power industry may need time to catch up.  It takes allot longer to build power plants than ethanol plants.  5 or more years may be necessary.

(You know you suck at spelling when the spell checker can't even figure out what you spelled :D)

GT-Labs wrote

paying farmers not to grow.

You seem to have the same idea as lots of people. Who is being paid not to grow corn and beans. I haven't had that option for years---can't even remember how long ago it's been.

Marty

GT-Labs wrote

paying farmers not to grow.

You seem to have the same idea as lots of people. Who is being paid not to grow corn and beans. I haven't had that option for years---can't even remember how long ago it's been.

Marty

Are all of those programs gone now Marty ?

Marty- are the Conservation Reserve Program programs still active on land enrolled a few years ago and still in reserve? I suspect this is the "paid not to plant" program they are referring to. I am sure the the standard program deficiency payments are non-existant due to the now higher corn price are they not?