This could be a blessing and/or a curse. Gas Buddy has never been a fan of ethanol, and is usually vocal about it. Guessing someone paid them to do it, but it wasn't us. As long as the numbers look good, they will likely be quiet on the prices submitted, but I could definitely see them saying, "hey, told you so..." if some bad price spreads appear. They are also owned by OPIS, which was recently purchased. It will be interesting to see how the assets adjust, if at all, during the changes coming ahead.

Robert

RFA

Aaron sent me a text about this a few hours ago, could be interesting to see what happens. Considering the stations that tend to overcharge, I wonder if this might work as a tool for shaming them into lowering their prices, or be a way for fleet operators to see who's selling for what and tell their drivers not to buy, or even for local regulators to monitor pricing without driving all over like Aaron had done just to get prices.

The presentation od E85 prices in the Gasbuddy app stinks. When I set options to E85, it still lists all nearby stations, but most have no price listing because they do not carry E85. The app does not filter out stations that do not sell E85.

Screw Gasbuddy! Editors took offense to my continued promotion and defense of Hybrids and E85 vehicles, they banned me. Although my posts have all been deleted from all gasbuddy forums, a google search reveals many people's reactions to my posts which included MIT cradle to grave studies regarding carbon footprint, University of Michigan study regarding use of e85 in 2003 Prius, and many other debunks of commonly circulated misinformation regarding each technology. Apparently my posts drew the ire of the ignorant who repeatedly reported me.

I use gas buddy and find the app amazingly useful. I would think since E85 has wide bandwidth of price and that the gas stations that carry the fuel are often harder to find this will be be a very positive development. Sure, some trouble makers will input phony prices, but that often times can be detected. They won't be able to wreak much havoc and probably will not have the ambition to continue to do so. Ethanol price is often times more stable, so the info will on average be more accurate? Maybe so as the consumers of this fuel are also more active. I doubt if the business would engage in POing potential customers. Maybe their website got more hits with the E85 banter and their thinking is to expand business. Ha, maybe they think the banter will increase as well? Authors often engage comment sections to increase posts and web hits.   

I'm all over the place with Gasbuddy. I find that a lot of stations that sell E85 don't have it marked as a feature, so I like to go in there and make sure the checkbox is selected. Oftentimes, I'll also see other edits that are badly needed - the address is incorrect or incomplete, the phone number is missing, other amenities available at the station aren't listed on Gasbuddy, the coordinates are off, etc. I'm extremely detail-oriented, and even the slightest glitch bothers me. The problem is, my access was cut off. I had been using the gasisoutrageous account for over 7 years, and then that happened. I use Gasbuddy as another method of finding the address and phone number, and it is imperative I have it for the coordinates.

Yes, Gasbuddy is full of anti-ethanol hatred. Any time I post anything on the forums, it often gets a nasty or cynical response. There is virtually nothing on the local Gasbuddy forums. I stopped using Gasbuddy after Briggs and Stratton ran some ads saying "look before you buy", talking about the ethanol content. Plus, I don't use gasoline, so that site has been virtually worthless. Really, the only reason I bother with gasoline is to see the price spreads.

But I would think if these folks really hated ethanol that much, they wouldn't waste their time on a site that advertises E10 prices, and would instead go to pure-gas.org. Ethanol-free isn't even an amenity option that shows up for stations on Gasbuddy.

I've loved the recent improvements though to the Gasbuddy user interface. I think it has a lot of benefits that our site has been lacking. It's very user-friendly, shows prices on an interactive map, and it's easy as pie to upload photos. That way, if someone is wondering whether or not a station has E85, they can see photos of the pumps and the signs. Plus, duplicates are weeded out easily, and if a station has E85 but isn't listed, it can be added in a snap. If it does not have E85, you can simply take it out and leave it at that.

With any new update, you usually have some bugs. I too have noticed that other stations which do not have E85 show up frequently. When I open the app, I see tons of stations that don't have the fuel. I go to the map, and I see the same thing there. But then, all I have to do is scroll around, and the non-E85 stations are weeded out. My main complaint though is that you can't see price history like you do here. That and I like comparing E85 to E0. Plus, E85 prices are not showing up on the iPad app or on the main website.