Sign in to follow this  
indianasolar

I want to convert my Infiniti FX35

This past end weekend the family drove up to see Grandma. Round trip was 340 miles. My car said I got 18 miles to the gallon of E60. I did not think that was too bad considering I was going 80 -85 the entire time. With premium I was getting about 20 miles per gallon on the same trip.

My in town mileage has dropped to 15 miles per gallon. Normally it was around 17.5 MPG.

All in all, I am sure I am money ahead on price. But it feels good to pay a farmer a little more.

I have my larger injectors. Got them for $100 from a member on my350z.com

I have to take the air plenum off to install. So I was thinking of upgrading the plenum.

I got the injectors about a month ago.... I got bored so I bought some long headers off of eBay.

The new plan is to help the engine breathe so good that even with the injectors that flow 40% more, the ECU will have to "add" more fuel with e85. Then if I have to add regular gas. The ECU will be able to trim down. i.e. I can get away with running E10?  That is wishful thinking.

E30 might be the low end of wishful thinking. It will bog with too much gas in the tank, and flat FLY with more ethanol in the tank.

A free flowing intake, injectors, and exhaust WITH ECU tuning on that car should be a very pleasant bump in power for an n/a car. I'm sure you can get all 3 done without much hassle.

Yup.. I know E10 in my 240SX with larger injectors gets real nasty rich and shudders bad at 5500 RPM.

However, it was drivable.. but not much fun.

All in all, I am sure I am money ahead on price. But it feels good to pay a farmer a little more.

Yes on alternative fuels ignore fuel milage, focus on cents per mile numbers. That is the number that tells you if your are ahead, behind or breaking even with gasoline from a financial point of view. Then you need to factor in an intangible for fun factor with the better performance most of us get on E85 and E85 blends.

Larry

I have decided to convert my Infiniti FX35. I have the VQ35DE engine.

I have been doing some research and decided to change my fuel injectors.

I think my stock injectors are rated at 315cc. I have calculated that 440cc injectors would give me 40% more fuel.

The question I have is, after it do this my ECU should adjust to the new injector size.

What will happens if I change the injectors and still run 93 octane gas? Does an injector have a minimum duty cycle?

I will ask more questions. But I will limit the the size of the postings.

TIA

Visit www.rolloutedition.com

Full Flex Gold convertion kits and many videos to explain everything about Ethanol.

Finally!!!

I got around to installing the injectors that I have had for almost a year.

Better late than never. $4 a gallon gave me the last push I needed.

opened it up on the highway. Same car, so far.

I changed out the injectors, sparks, plenum gasket (heat soak), and added a plenum spacer this morning. went very smooth.

Now I can plan my long tube header install!

This is fun!!!

Back to the race! On the Radio. I live in Indy so no TV coverage.

Finally!!!

I got around to installing the injectors that I have had for almost a year.

Better late than never. $4 a gallon gave me the last push I needed.

opened it up on the highway. Same car, so far.

I changed out the injectors, sparks, plenum gasket (heat soak), and added a plenum spacer this morning. went very smooth.

Now I can plan my long tube header install!

This is fun!!!

Back to the race! On the Radio. I live in Indy so no TV coverage.

Yeah- I had to move out of Indiana to see the race w/o actually going - watching it now.

I hate to be a noob-but- but what plenum are you spacing with the gasket ?

Yeah- I had to move out of Indiana to see the race w/o actually going - watching it now.

I hate to be a noob-but- but what plenum are you spacing with the gasket ?

At least in my car, I have an upper and lower air intake collector. (plenum) This is where the air collects before going down the intake runs, then into the cylinder. Where the plenum attaches to the engine I installed a thermal isolation gasket. This will help keep the incoming air cooler. 

What are you driving Indianasolar?

Is this a daily driver in the winter also?- if so go you think the cooler intake air will affect MPG? (I am assuming you are not high compression).