TD

Shell Introduces New Nitro+ Premium Fuel Nationwide

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/06/shell-introduces-new-nitro-premium-fuel-nationwide/

Starting Monday, your local Shell station will be offering a new grade of fuel said to increase engine life and boost efficiency, but at a price.

According to Shell researcher Ed Nelson, the company’s V-Power Nitro+ claims to add “protection against wear and corrosion to the detergents our gasoline already contains” by adhering to affected parts for better lubrication while keeping water in the gasoline from doing the same for reduced corrosion, Detroit Free Press reports. Nitro+ also claims to have more detergent to prevent waste buildup in the engine.

The new grade will replace the original V-Power premium fuel at Shell stations nationwide, while grades below Nitro+ will have lower quantities of the detergents and other chemicals used with the new premium fuel. No changes to octane are set to occur, though Shell is silent on how much more consumers will pay for Nitro+.

LOL. Anyone want to buy a bridge?

I saw their "Nitro" stuff at a gas station down in Mountain View, AR last year.   I was like "WTH? What kind of snake oil is this?"..   and that's when I watches someone actually select it..   for their 1988 Ford F150 with rear rusted quarter panels.

Rust Inhibitors?   I think they missed the boat.. heh...

Well their old formula had nitrogen too. The hype is just hype, period. Understand the additives are just about 1 gal-2 gal per 8500 truckload and mostly just common mandated inhibitors and detergents as required by states.

Got swamp land in Florida? :D

I'd be curious to see it, but I sure as hell will not be buying it. One thing I've been telling folks about why I use E85 is that I know precisely what's in it. I also know where it comes from. To me, this is a way for me to care about my car... only putting the best stuff in. With gasoline, I don't know exactly what's in it. How do I know STP, Invigorate, Shell Nitro+, etc, are actually in the fuel? How do I know what quantities are in it? Also, we only have one petroleum terminal in the Lansing metro - a Marathon terminal. Am I expected to believe that gasoline for say, Mobil, comes from a Mobil owned terminal hundreds of miles away? No, it comes from the Marathon terminal out on the NW side of Lansing. As you said outlaw, it's all just hype. With E85, I don't need anyone up selling the fuel to me, advertising additives and such to convince me to buy from them instead of someone else. I use E85 because for me, it's tried, true, and tested. This comes from my own personal experience, including over 80,000 miles on E85 and E85 alone.

From a Chevy Volt user in another forum:

I don't care much about the brand, but I only keep a couple of non-ethanol premium in mine for day to day driving. I use so little and with the gumming problems I had on my wife's motorcycle carburetor clogging up, I don't want to risk the Volt.

If I'm going on a long trip where I would use more than one tank, then I just get premium whenever I find it to comply with the vehicle requirements. I try to time it to when I get home the tank will be close to empty and I can add non-ethanol fuel again. A little more brain work but, to me it's worth it.

The gas tank in the Volt is a pressurized system, designed to keep fuel fresh long term. I would think I'd be better off with E85 in there than non-ethanol fuel. A sealed system shouldn't take on much moisture.

Edited by TD

So I decided to stop off at an exit north of Flint, following an all night price run, to get something to eat at a Tim Hortons store. I noticed a Shell right across the street, and after examining it from across the street, I noticed street flags that stated "Shell Nitro+ available here". I decided to go check it out.

Ahem (clears throat). Please prepare for a brief rant.

WHAT A SCAM. A CLEAR FREAKING SCAM. First of all, for some reason, I expected it to be 94 octane, or something of the like. Something that set it apart from the other two gasoline grades available. Nope, it was 93 like I could get at just about every other gasoline station in this part of the country. It had a little bit of flashy labelling at the pump, but it may have helped the cause to have pumps that weren't old and defaced by vandalism. The only difference is an additive! As for the price increase, at this particular station, it was 30 cents/gallon above midgrade, and 67 cents/gallon above regular. Each station chain and franchisee is allowed to set their own price spread between the grades, based of what they're paying and what profit margins they want.

One thing I tell folks about why I use E85 is because I know precisely what is in it, and where it comes from. No frills, no marketing ploys. Just straight up E85 made from Michigan grown corn, and produced in Lake Odessa. How the heck am I supposed to believe this additive is ACTUALLY in the fuel? How am I supposed to believe that it's any better than 93 octane premium I could get at say, Meijer? Shell seems to have been having trouble selling their premium gasoline lately, and I've noticed more ads for it on the radio in recent years. As gasoline continues an (overall) upward trend in price, folks are more concerned (and obsessed) with the price of fuel and where it gets them. Unless they drive a BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, etc, many folks do not put up with the price of premium, and do not like using it. Many engines that were previously premium only can now run on 87, and fewer folks are buying the higher grade gasoline. We are seeing the price spreads between the gasoline grades increase dramatically at many stations both to cover the loss in sales from lower premium sales, and from lower profit margins on this cheap gasoline. Speedway, for example, has a 40 cent price spread between 87 and 93. The Shell in Holly, the one that carries E85, has a 50 cent difference between 87 and 89, and a whopping 80 cent difference between 87 and 93.

So simply put, this is a big fat scam. A marketing ploy, and a sad attempt of one at that.

post-2293-0-16230000-1434043087_thumb.jpg

post-2293-0-61212000-1434043129_thumb.jpg

post-2293-0-05470000-1434043140_thumb.jpg

My Sister asked today if there has been any mention on the places Ingo online about this new Shell Premium, apparently her Challenger does seem to run a bit better on it.