gasisoutrageous

In direct defiance to the Canadian Tar Sands, TransCanada...

I was asked to take a family friend over to Toronto. So the night before, I stopped at Meijer and bought 3-five gallon fuel cans. The next morning I filled them at the Old Town Speedway at $1.969/gallon. I topped off at a NEGATIVE $0.72/gallon spread in Port Huron, and then arrived at the border with the friend, and there were no issues whatsoever - stark contrast to the last time I crossed the border. On the drive through Canada, I was flabbergasted at how astronomically high the fuel economy was getting as we were driving across the flat terrain of Ontario. Right before we hit traffic near Lester Pearson Int'l, I got up to 28 mpg!

I made it back across the border, no issues whatsoever (with the fuel), with 1/3 of a tank to spare. I was worried I wouldn't be able to make it that far in and all the way back. Better safe than sorry right? If this isn't dedication, I don't know what is! I'm very much against Canadian Tar Sands, and just about anything that stems from it (this is a can of worms). I thought to myself "the hell of I'm going to put in $3.50/gallon (after conversion from Canadian cents/litre to USD/US gallon) tar sands gasoline in this car!

On a side note, I was robbed blind by the side of the highway with my data usage. I wasn't just robbed - everything I had including my clothes were taken. I go this far with the metaphor because I managed to rack up $250 I don't have in international data charges! I have to see how to get this down.

Pump gas at $3.50 a gallon?   In Southwestern Pa, the pump gas has risen from $2.19 at the end of January 2015 to $2.95 the second week of May 2015.   I would not be surprised if it is over $3.00 a gallon this month.

3 years ago we took a once in a lifetime Alaskan cruise, down the Alaskan coast, because it was on my wife's bucket list. Data on the ship was horribly expensive and I didn't want to get into Canadian charges, so the only time my phone was on was the few times we were on shore in Alaska. I was getting caught up on emails while on bus rides.

I'd like to hear more about the conversation at the border with tanks of fuel in the back, both the good time and bad time.

Years ago we were robbed in Canada when they wouldn't give us the exchange rate, then about 20%. So they'd exchange US bills with Canadian change. I suppose we should have complained. Must have been that MN nice you hear so much about.

Edited by TD

On a side note, I was robbed blind by the side of the highway with my data usage. I wasn't just robbed - everything I had including my clothes were taken. I go this far with the metaphor because I managed to rack up $250 I don't have in international data charges! I have to see how to get this down.

I have Sprint.   with Sprint, you can call and get the international package for Canada before you depart.  

It's not expensive.  It's like $30 a month extra  or something for a complete internation pack including data - but there are limits on the amount of data.   It's not bad- just don't spend all night streaming video and you will be ok.

.  https://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/services_solutions/details.jsp?detId=solutions_international_travel_sprint&catId=solution_international&catName=International%20Services&detName=Traveling%20Internationally%20&specialCat=#!/

Edited by James48843