Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

Engines optimized for Alcho... efficiencies ...one third higher than FFV engines

Engines optimized for alcohol fuel use, on the other hand, may yield efficiencies that exceed that of state-of-the-art diesel engines—or, about one third higher than that of FFV engines. In earlier engine research at EPA with neat methanol and ethanol [1], for example, over 40% brake thermal efficiency was achieved over a relatively broad range of loads and speeds, with peak levels reaching over 42%. Similar work has also been performed with E85 [7], yielding up to 20% fuel economy improvement over baseline gasoline engines

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/presentations/epa-fev-isaf-no55.pdf

Thanks Dan for finding and posting this research paper. This correlates to the single cylinder research paper EPA published earlier. Bring on these engines- when the efficiencies are improved like this, high alcohol fuels will be accepted by more consumers and the lack of ethanol/ methanol pumps across the USA will be corrected in time for the arrival of a flood of cellulosic ethanol. At that point I would see oil companies pushing methanol and ethanol producers needing to have their work done in getting up blender pumps to offer multiple high ethanol blends from E30-E100. 

This correlates to the single cylinder research paper EPA published earlier. Bring on these engines- when the efficiencies are improved like this, high alcohol fuels will be accepted by more consumers and the lack of ethanol/ methanol pumps across the USA will be corrected in time for the arrival of a flood of cellulosic ethanol.

So is there any political lobbying by the ethanol Industry for these engines , we now it's possible and apparently not that big of an issue to design a considerably more efficient engine for alcohol. Certainly the NEVC is well aware as is ADM etc... so where is the lobbying to get some sort of mandates for the auto industry to produce these engines ?

Sadly- I am unaware of any organized push for these engines. Further- the "dream" of automakers is hydrogen which plays into oil's hands since that will be the source.

These ethanol engines should be a focus of Epic, American Coalition for Ethanol, RFA, and the NEVC.

Sadly- I am unaware of any organized push for these engines. Further- the "dream" of automakers is hydrogen which plays into oil's hands since that will be the source.

These ethanol engines should be a focus of Epic, American Coalition for Ethanol, RFA, and the NEVC.

There isn't an organized push nor will there be an organized push (for E85 optimized) as long as the Industry is making huge profits on the Volume based E10 and now E20 being pursed . They wont "really"need to make all vehicles FFV until we get in the E30 range IMO 

Interesting read...it's gonna take a while to digest all that information.  A couple of things stick out right away.  A lot of the 'super' performance gains were with 'neat' or non-denatured fuel.  That will never happen on a public scale...the government would much rather poison you to death than have you skip out on the tax for booze, so I can't ever see being able to buy E100 without the $40? gallon liquor tax. 

The SAE reference #7 paper is at:

http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/1999-01-3568

Unfortunately, my membership has long lapsed, but I may check around and see if there are any other copies available.

It is possible offer a "neat" ethanol- as long as it has been poisoned with 2% gas, or made undrinkable by some other bitterant, or methanol as they do for industrial alcohol. However- current tax law does not allow for blender tax credits as they have on B99 biodiesel. So- you may be right- it may take "an act of congress" to move forward even with e98.