One of our members driving through the Chicago area spotted a station offering Shell ClearFLEX E85. Neither of us had heard of it before, but it was easy to find on the internet. Thought I would share... We will make sure that the stations are included in the database.

https://www.shell.us/products-services/shell-for-motorists/fuels/shell-clearflex.html

Robert

I knew about that Schaumberg one, actually refused to buy there when I saw their spread a few years ago. The Elgin one is just far enough away that I don't go there, as I tend to go by the North Aurora Speedways and Thorntons as well as the St. Charles BP on Rt. 64/Main St. near Colonial and Don McQue Chevy.

Perhaps early signs of adoption? But any rate, I noticed this myself a few months ago. A few of them we already have in the database, and one of the others I had called to verify but the employee said they didnt have it.

I think I am going to submit good feedback to Shell directly from this page/site you link to. Thanking them for introducing this fuel. First time I have done that on a major oil co. website.

I was suspicious of their Shell E85 product offering per the usual marketing agreement. The dealer can't sell competing product. The Shell E85 option would put independent delivery of E85 out of business and put the oil company in charge of price and competition. However, did stumble upon Shell business meeting report last quarter that Shell was going to transition big time into biofuel market. They talked much about ethanol and utilizing tree stock for cellulosic ethanol. First company production is targeted, SE U.S.. They envision smaller processing plants located close to bulk supply, much like Poet. They said with the companies resources and talent they would be a major player and soon capitalize on the fuel development. They stated Europe transportation could be powered by biofuel. What's interesting, Europe is dominated by diesel powered transportation. I'm betting when Shell reviewed the results of Calf. Ultra Low Carbon Engine per E85 optimized they decided time to act. Less risk in ethanol, since EPA is now required gulf oil spill contamination to be studied for 10 years out.

The station in Prospect Heights, north of Chicago, had a springy sign promoting the E85 price near the entrance to the convenience store that was difficult to view from the street. They have recently removed it. Those curious about E-85 prices are typically disappointed to learn that there is a $.30 spread kept in lockstep with regular gas prices.

No sooner had I dissed Shell for their lock-step pricing, they make a liar out of me by pricing their product more competitively than Speedway - $1.00 cheaper than regular gasoline.

As I've mentioned before, Speedway has the highest rate of name recognition of most any fuel station chain in the country. With the acquisition of Hess fuel stations, effectively doubling the number of stores Speedway has, this statistic will only grow in significance. So it's no surprise that Speedway's decision (and public announcement of such) that they see E85 as a profitable fuel for them, is a huge deal. Tony Kenney himself, the president of Speedway LLC, has said publicly that he believes E85 is a good answer. 

Shockingly, this has made biofuels producers/groups, and other oil/retail fuel companies take notice. If Speedway can make it profitable, Shell probably realizes this and would like a slice of the pie.

No sooner had I dissed Shell for their lock-step pricing, they make a liar out of me by pricing their product more competitively than Speedway - $1.00 cheaper than regular gasoline.

Really?! When did that happen?!