Sign in to follow this  
TD

Converting with larger injectors

I've searched and can't find a good guide to upgrading injectors for street use.

My 2012 Chevy uses GM part# 55565481.

How do I find out what they flow and potentially what injectors to buy?

I can run E50 all day, but will get a CEL after a few minutes on E60, so think I don't have to go much bigger. Also want to be able to go back to straight gas for warranty work.

I've always gone with a kit in the past, but it's more work to swap injector connectors with this vehicle. I have to remove a lot more parts to get at the injectors and the connectors are difficult to get to so I no-longer can expect a 5 min R&R for a conversion kit.

Thanks.

Morning Rick,

I sent  a message to the ebay seller that I purchased my fuel injectors from to see if he can find out which injectors will work for you. ..I told him you wanted 20% larger.. that should allow you to run some gasoline as well if ever needed .

Best conversion I ever did was with the larger fuel injectors.. for the Jeep it works perfect . Zero issues    AND  keep in mind larger fuel injectors does not mean you will automatically lose more mpg.. ecu will only send as much fuel as you need  AND if it makes the correct adjustment and gets you near lamda  to we're combustion is near perfect you may actually see better mpg.

Billy, it's good for anything with fuel injection so your covered.

Dan, I'm really concerned about running E0 with 20% larger. Premium fuel comes in 0% and 10% and my intent was to leave them on the vehicle. Did you give your vehicle a good test of E0/10 after installing?

Granted I'd probably be at E30 for service and have a 5 year extended warranty, but I just don't want to feel I have to remove it down the road.

BTW, thanks for checking into this for me. :)

Billy, it's good for anything with fuel injection so your covered.

Dan, I'm really concerned about running E0 with 20% larger. Premium fuel comes in 0% and 10% and my intent was to leave them on the vehicle. Did you give your vehicle a good test of E0/10 after installing?

Granted I'd probably be at E30 for service and have a 5 year extended warranty, but I just don't want to feel I have to remove it down the road.

BTW, thanks for checking into this for me. :)

The Injectors I went with are nearly roughly 27% larger.. I wouldn't run E10 in it..would be way too rich.. although the ECU "may" be able to adjust to that extreme?  I'll test pne of these days and let you know.

Dan, I assume your Jeep has a built-in MPG display. Is that accurate now that you have larger injectors?

I know my '09 Escape Hybrid's MPG display was off when I had a conversion installed. In fact the vehicle displayed close to what my mileage would have been on gas, while my ScanGauge II displayed the true miles on E85.

It's little things like this that make me wonder if I want to install larger injectors vs. splash blending. :huh:

I found the answer to my question regarding the vehicles MPG and MTE here: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?48684-E85-FlexFuel-Conversion-2012-Chevy-Volt-2012-Cruze-Eco&p=365249&viewfull=1#post365249

The data for fuel consumed is currently not reporting accurately, since I rescaled the injectors with my dedicated E70 tune. This became obvious when the 9.3gal tank got to 50% full, but the total fuel consumed was only 3.5gals on the odometer.

Dan sent me an email that the dealer wasn't able to find injectors for my Volt.

Thanks for checking for me Dan!

At this point I'm too busy with moving to mess with it anyway and have to get a house on the market soon so don't need the additional expense. Plus my wife has retired now due to health reasons and soon will probably be watching MY spending now too. :huh:

I'll worry about it later, meanwhile I am enjoying the additional range E30 gives me. With a strong headwind there's been times where I've arrived at my wife's place in Mpls with 40 miles to empty.