Sign in to follow this  
Fuelinggood

Flex-Fuel Vehicles at 18 million strong...

Of the four people I know with flex-fuel vehicles, only two knew what that meant when they purchased the vehicle. Of those, none purchase E-85 fuel. One says he dislikes the loss in fuel economy, but never calculated fuel cost comparisons. The other is afraid to use E-85 because she heard about the "awful things" it does to one's engine.

Just had a Bus driver at work get a new Jeep Loredo. He did not know it ran on E85 until he was going through the manual.  Since he see's me pull into work with E85 plastered all over my Jeep ..he started asking questions and says he will start running E85 as well

Same thing though about MPG.. that was really his main concern... 

We need 2 things before Obama leaves office.. a FFV mandate (Which he and Biden both supported) ..so that E85 becomes more mainstream .. and with that mainstream usage the call for better MPG could be enough for the Auto INdustry to getting working on a hardware and software solution..like they do with some vehicles  with economy mode , sport mode etc..   E85 mode Gasoline mode selection 

Would raising the minimum octane rating of "crapoline" from 87 to 91 help E85?   Mandate 91 and 94 octane crapoline fuels as a "stick and carrot" method of increasing engine compression near and above 12 to 1?  Thus enhancing engine efficiency and improve E85 mileage?

I do not know how this would effect the cost of producing crapoline, whether engine compressions of 12 to 1 or greater could be supported by 91 octane and only assume engines with higher compression ratios will produce better E85 mpgs.

I dislike mandates, but mandating that all new vehicles be FFV is something I might get behind.    The additional cost on the vehicle just isn't that much, and Ford seems to have lost interest in making FFV's when they released their whole EcoBoost line of engines.   None of them will use E85.

I still wonder why Buick killed off their E85 Turbo engine they had out for one year.   Was it on the tail end of one of their engine lines they were retiring?

As it stands, I'll be moving back to a Chrysler T&C for my next vehicle purchase.   The Pentastar 3.6 has the Towing capacity, the cargo capacity, and my FFV requirement.   That's still several years off though I think before I make that jump.   I'm 1 year away from having my 2010 Escape paid for, and I'm going to enjoy NOT having a car payment for a while.

WM