gasisoutrageous

Northern Michigan is about to get a MAJOR gap filled!

Actually, two gaps. One major, and one MAJOR. For the past couple of weeks, I have been following the new Meijer stores being built in Manistee and Alpena, both in northern lower Michigan. 

We've discussed before about how folks in Alpena are nearly unable to use E85, and the nearest station is over 60 miles away. 

Not anymore! I have learned Meijer is building a fuel station and grocery store in both Alpena and Manistee. Both are filling in sizable gaps, which I have highlighted in the screenshots below. Because the stores have not opened, and we have extremely limited spotter coverage up there both on E85prices and GasBuddy, I'm thinking I will have to travel up there to get the information myself. May be a couple weeks before then. Both stores should be opening either next month or in May, with the grocery store opening a month after for each.

I'm also watching Meijer's expansion into Wisconsin, with 4 stores opening there this spring.

In addition, Speedway is about to open 4 more brand new builds in Tennessee, all of which should carry E85. We effectively have 10 additional stations that are guaranteed here, but I just need more information before I can add them.post-2293-0-34385600-1426277121_thumb.jpgpost-2293-0-41867400-1426277134_thumb.jpg

This morning, I was informed that both Meijer stores in Alpena and in Manistee have officially opened for business! I have added the Alpena store to the database and have submitted prices for it. I decided to go up there and confirm the info for myself, and filled up at $1.94/gallon. I will post pictures later, and will be adding the Manistee store shortly.

I am keeping an eye on the stores in Acme Township (near Traverse City) and in downtown Detroit. Both are still several months from opening, but a couple weeks ago, I decided to drive over to the Detroit store. They do indeed have E85 in their sign. Since Detroit isn't really that far away, I'll drive down there again and confirm the info.

To my knowledge, the two stores we are expecting in Illinois should be online shortly, if they aren't already. I am keeping my eye on Wisconsin, where Meijer has made it clear they want an aggressive expansion over the next several years.

I have also learned that Meijer will be opening a new store in the northern Michigan town of Cheboygan next year.

"I'm also watching Meijer's expansion into Wisconsin, with 4 stores opening there this spring."

I am also watching this #1BigHero6Fan.

Four announced in Milwaukee first and now one for the Green Bay metro area. Another big operator but I'll take the competion. Sure hope they do E-85 here. Do you know, have they announced anything general, such as that they plan to include E-85 in all new constructions... or is that unknown?

They absolutely will. lol I wouldn't care so much about these new stores if not! Yes, both Meijer and Speedway have said that all new builds, as well as any stores that have work done with the tanks and pumps, will get E85. That's why Alpena got E85, and why 25 out of 26 Speedway stores in Tennessee got E85.

By the way, call me Aaron :)

They absolutely will. lol I wouldn't care so much about these new stores if not! Yes, both Meijer and Speedway have said that all new builds, as well as any stores that have work done with the tanks and pumps, will get E85. That's why Alpena got E85, and why 25 out of 26 Speedway stores in Tennessee got E85.

By the way, call me Aaron :)

Be happy to. Easier to type than #1BigHero6Fan.

Caught the piece on you and the Charger over on Fuel freedom. Nice write up!