Sign in to follow this  
Fuelinggood

Jay Leno Hates Ethanol, or so he now claims...

I understand your point, but keep in mind, Jay CAN buy E0 in California, just like you can in Nebraska. I am also very confident all he would need to do, if his station of choice doesn't offer it today, is ask. Most people believe that removing the RFS would change none of that. E10 took over California in 2005 when they found that MTBE was contaminating underground water sources. It had nothing to do with the RFS. He promoting removing the RFS is another issue entirely. We have found some sponsorship connections already with this that may explain his recent article, and it will be fun to follow in the coming weeks.

Hmm- perhaps Jay should pamper his fleet a bit more (IF HE REALLY IS SEEING ISSUES-WHICH I DOUBT). Let me just say that I know two old boys with about 100 classic IH tractors who pay someone to drain every fuel tank of EO gas every 6 months and refill because of the water accumulation and fuel quality degradation of the E0 they seem to still put in them.

Heh, well, I do truly feel sorry that the Ethanol in gas is wrecking his McLarens, Duesenbergs, and vintage Mercedes.   These cars were never designed for Ethanol Gas, and I am not surprised that even the replacement parts for these end up getting wrecked pretty quickly as they are probably not using Teflon or Viton in the parts.

You know what the issue here is?  It's choice, and that's Jay's biggest complaint.   Jay wants to be able to purchase gas that has 0% ethanol so he can take his car collection out for Sunday drives without the fear of burning to death.  

I don't blame him.

Too bad they took what he said way out of context, I feel, and turned it into an absolute anti-ethanol hate speech.   Jays a pretty smart guy, and I am gonna bet for his newer cars, the ones that were designed from the floor up with fuel systems that are compatible with Ethanol, that he has ANY problem with it.   But I am sure, for his antique collection, ethanol gas probably gives him a lot of headaches, even if he's tried to take some steps to protect the fuel systems from Ethanol.

This article feels fishy, and it feels like they took a conversation and assembled parts of it to make it come across that he's a lot more anti-ethanol than what he really is.

Either that, or someone has slipped him a VERY nice chunk of change to switch his tune, but I find that kind of hard to believe.

I think Autoweek and Jay need to get called out on this, and I am going to bet in a few months, a small editors correction will be printed on the lower corner of page three clarifying Jay's remarks.   You know, somewhere no one will ever read them.

WM   

Like I mentioned earlier --  adapt, overcome , and move on ...

There's probably a list of  carb parts , fuel line parts, and  fuel tank parts for these cars

compiled by their respective fan clubs, with common failure modes , and tips on what to look for.

Further, some  backyard mechanic-type has already taken on the challenge to find a suitable replacement 

part /material, and has set about to manufacture it , from scratch...

Usually takes awhile for word to get out that the new/improved part is available.  

Look what has happened to Holly carbs ...  new E85 versions of old classics...

same thing applies for other fuel line components

-- necessity -- that mother ......

I feel depressed and betrayed when I read Leno's anti-ethanol comments.

It's a good thing he's off the air now so I don't have to make the grand gesture of boycotting his show (which I watched every night for years and years).

I'm really disappointed in Jay..  He has supported ethanol and E85 in the past ..He HAS valid concerns with ethanol and vehicles with cork gaskets and such but (which is why you replace those in older vehicles)  and ethanol will clean out the sludge .. that's a GOOD thing if you know what to watch for but then he goes too far off to to the right simply echoing anti ethanol propaganda.

It read more like something that was given to him ..