Sign in to follow this  
Fuelinggood

Jay Leno Hates Ethanol, or so he now claims...

Jay Leno's latest article in Autoweek (www.autoweek.com/article/car-life/jay-leno-hates-ethanol) outlines his hatred for ethanol and is titled, Jay Leno Hates Ethanol. I am not sure if it is the 3rd person headline to the article, or just how different this month's article reads from his ones of the past, but something sure smells fishy. I personally have never been a fan of Jay, just never could connect with his humor. I was a big fan of Johnny Carson and now enjoy Jimmy Fallon. I also didn't really care for what he did to Conan either, but I digress.

History says that something is fishy here too. It takes just a few seconds on Google to find several examples of Jay promoting his own Corvette that he had converted to run on E85. In fact, on YouTube, you can spot him at events like SEMA talking about it and wearing an E85 logo (here is one example: youtube.com/watch?v=1ccK9wIOfH0). He also featured in an article for Popular Mechanics and raved about the benefits of using E85 (popularmechanics.com/cars/a3213/42617). His goal, "transfer the soul of a race car into a powerful sports car that runs a fuel other than gasoline." Seems like a good message.

Guess times have changed, or maybe we should follow the money? While no one has claimed a connection, nor do I have one to present, the anti-ethanol crowd was ready to promote Jay's latest stance and ignore the one of the past. Maybe too ready. I will let all of you form your own opinion, but if you are a supporter of E85, I would remind Jay and @lenosgarage on Twitter. If you want to go one step further, I suggest reaching out to AutoWeek: awletter@autoweek.com.

The RFA will be making a statement, and we have at least three auto experts making statements and are writing back to Jay directly. I will share those as they are available and I hope you will help us turn up the heat.

Robert

Thanks Robert, My Ford Focus has about 27,000 miles on it and ~ 95% E85. I agree something sounds fishy with Jay's about face. What is interesting is that I have a 1992 Toyota that has had 30 to 50% ethanol since 2001----almost 14 years and seems unaffected. A couple of other cars using E30 for many years also. Would sure hate to see our fuel changed back to the "good old days" for a few antique cars.

Edited by cessna

I can see his point since most of his cars pre-date the 70's, when ethanol-safe parts became the standard.

They must have caught him on a bad day. I've always liked Jay, it's Conan I don't have time for.

But, he had those cars and E10 before his ethanol/E85 love fest a few years ago. Nothing has changed from the older vehicle or fuel side in California since 2005. They weren't' designed for E10, and they weren't designed for unleaded gasoline. One thing that has changed is his paid endorsement of VP Racing Fuels, who are not fans of ethanol. Not sure if it is just that, or more. But, if he is actually experiencing sudden issues with E10 in his older vehicles, that is not a reason to dismantle the entire Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS). Markets and RIN prices were finally starting to lead to more E85, and if the EPA would just enforce the law, it would ramp up quickly.

I'll bet Jay is getting caught up in maint. problems on some of his vehicles that sit for long periods of time without being run.

Probably takes awhile for those parts that are marginally tolerant of ethanol , to finally fail.  And he might have a warehouse

full of these !   Still not an excuse to pitch the whole thing overboard.  Adapt ,  overcome, and move on...

I believe the answer here is give people a choice. Granted I used E85 whenever I can in my daily driver, however in some of the older machines I operate, E10  is not prefered on the OEM parts and in some cases E10 works just fine. Granted modifications can bee made, however when trying to remain all original, give me a choice at the pump and luckily in Nebraska I can buy gasoline with no ethanol and one would pay around $0.20 per gallon more than 10% ethanol, I have that choice Jay doesn't have. That is my option. I believe what Jay is speaking towards is the same thing, let him buy zero ethanol gasoline for his all original older fleet that needs it, yet if he choses to buy E85 in his Z06 vette he has that choice.