TD

Anyone have a Chevy Volt running on E85?

I just ordered the HP Tuners VCM Std Suite, hoping to enable "Flex Fuel" on it Tuesday evening.

Hopefully Engimuneer will be available should I have questions. The trouble is I only drive on gas about 2 hours every 3 weeks or so I might have to quit charging it for a couple days.

Edited by TD

Had a little trouble getting the HPT software to read my stock tune without throwing an error, but they were quick to get me going.

Hope to flash it this week. Will be interesting as they're forecasting a frigid weekend with temps as low as -26°F, the coldest we've had so far this winter. I still have most of a tank of E50 left so it's going to be at least a month before I have an empty tank that I can fill with E70.

So with Engimuneer's (Fuelverine) help, I have enabled the flex fuel option and set my default Stoich from E0 to about E50, otherwise everything else is stock. My LTFT is down from 25 to 3 and under with E60 and today I topped it off with E70. Everything is running well for now. I suspect I'll do another out-of-town trip in a couple weeks and check my mileage. For now just using gas to/from work.

When he gets some free time, Engimuneer will get me a more exotic tune with proper E85 maps and cold start settings. Since we're using HP Tuners software instead of EFILive, we're limited to 12 e85-related settings instead of 130, so some settings related to proper fueling events may not be available.

To clarify, with a stock tune, I experienced a lean CEL at E60 with a LT fuel trim approaching 30.

By changing the default stoich to E55, my LTFT is single digits with E70 so E85 should be no problem, unless the injector duty cycle is marginal.

John (Engimuneer) has been running E85 for several months with no issue with a similar tune.

I think it's pretty cool to run on E85 without larger injectors.

I thought I'd update my progress.

Changing the default stoich to E55 has me running E70 without a CEL or needing larger injectors. With John's help I bumped my timing up about 4° for 2200 rpm and above. I spent about 2 hours driving, logging for knock, updating my tune. Most of the tweaking I've had to do was between 1600 and 2400 rpm. Now it's running nicely.

I'll be driving over 400 miles next week with the high approaching 70° so will see how my mileage is.

Here's an update to a proper E85 tune on the first Gen Volt.

I've been in contact with a gentleman from FL who's been tuning his vehicles with HP Tuner for a decade and he seems to know his stuff. OTOH, although I have 2 year automotive degree from the 70's and never worked in the field, HP Tuners software is all new to me. I think we still have John (Fuelverine) on board too.

It's nice to surround yourself with people that are smarter or more successful than yourself and I think for the sake of this project, I've done that.

Laz has developed a pretty good tune for our Volts.

Injector duty cycle on E85 is about 40% average and max about 60%.

Mileage loss from E10 (which had lots of knock) compared to E85 was about 15%, not bad.

Still working on reducing knock before moving on to lower blends. Possibly next will be E30, which is a pretty good replacement for Premium, might be next.

Trying to fix the GM Flex Fuel Sensor problem has also been discussed (although neither of us has one). I have left messages for the author of this thread: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?48684-E85-FlexFuel-Conversion-2012-Chevy-Volt-2012-Cruze-Eco

Edited by TD

What do you think of the Volt so far? I just got hired at a new job that will have me driving for part of it and I wouldn't mind retiring my 200 from the daily grind once I get it and my credit card paid off (this new job pays about 1/2 again more than to twice what I had been making) at my old job. Been thinking about a used Volt or a new 2.4l Dodge Dart, since with all the rebates, the Darts are CHEAP and if you get the right 2.4l, they're flex fuel and the earlyused market Volts are comparable in price to the heavily discounted new Darts, and an extended warranty seems like it might be wise, just in case.

If you continue drriving in suburban traffic, opt for the hybrid. The regenerative braking will increase your fuel economy dramatically over a conventional drivetrain. Especially if the traffic signals in your area are like those in mine: Timed perfectly to allow one to reach the 45 MPH speed limit only to be met with a red light at the next intersection.

I love my Volt and won't own anything else that doesn't plug in.Owner satisfaction is very high among owners of EV's.

It's a coupe so close to the ground and has a low center of gravity due to the battery pack so handles pretty good too. I'm in ND and snow wasn't a problem in the last 15 months either due to the limited slip FWD in most modern cars.

If you opt for a Volt, and are anywhere except the warm South, you'll want the factory heated seats. (Aftermarket seats usually disable the air bag sensor.) Also the '13 and newer models have "hold" mode so you can leave town in EV mode, switch to "hold" which will start the ICE, then save the rest of your battery for when you get back to town. EV mode is more efficient at slower speeds and the ICE more efficient on the highway.

'11 and '12 Volts have a black roof so unless the vehicle is all black, fairly easy to identify.

First gen Volts are premium fuel only so a natural for E30 or conversion to E85.

2016 and newer will be 2nd gen with direct fuel injection and larger battery.

According to the Chicago Tribune, plug-in vehicles are the best used car buy right now. http://gm-volt.com/2016/07/04/plug-in-vehicles-are-the-best-used-car-bargains/