TD

Anyone have a Chevy Volt running on E85?

Converting Chevrolet Volt To Run On E85 Is Easy

http://insideevs.com/converting-chevrolet-volt-run-e85-easy/

The first generation 1.4-liter engine for the Volt is shared with the Cruze and originally was designed to be able to run on ethanol blends. GM didn’t make the Volt flex-fuel capable, but those who would like to burn ethanol, it’s possible.

Edited by storky

Greetings Gents,

I decided not to rely on the virtual-FFV algorithm when running on the Volt

The virtual algorithm determines if the vehicle was filled up, then goes into a relearn procedure until a certain volume of fuel is burned; however, if the vehicle turns off in that time, it will be stuck at a different guesstimate. If you were on a road trip, this would be fine. In my case, after 3 months of ownership and only 20 gallons of fuel with 3000 miles, I would have never run the vehicle through this correct routine.

Instead, I reprogram the ECU to think the fuel stoichiometry is always E55, which only requires fuel trims of ~10% for pure E85 (we know it's usually E70-E80). This has allowed me to have no DTCs and still get 38-44MPG @ 65-75 MPH. This was using HPTuners; however, I'm working with Wait4Me performance on an EFILive based tune right now that will give the car a lot more kick. Not that it needs much more, I LOVE driving it as is. Never been so satisfied with a vehicle.

I have had no issues with cold starts and knock has disappeared. Ask anyone with a 'Torque' or 'HPTuners' who has datalogged on 91 octane and they'll confirm that these vehicles are knock happy due to their advancement. That isn't bad though, the E87 ECM & its knock sensors react REALLY quickly to prevent damage. This is why I get such great fuel mileage, the spark automatically tries to maximize.

Would this method be preferred for other GM's as well?  

Using enough fuel isn't a problem for me should I stick to the other method for my 09 & 10 Cobalt's. 

(Still planning on getting HPtuner setup in Jan) 

Are you able to run E10 without a CEL?

I've been waiting for you to show up again as I have lots of questions.

1. With your present tune (which I'm sure I'd prefer over Wait4me's), are you using stock injectors or ones for the Cruze?
  2. If you're using Cruze Injectors, is the vehicle mileage is off? (or do you have a fix for that?)
  3. Did you tweak anything or just "flip the switch", since I don't get anything close to 38 mpg on E50.

Thanks.

For some reason I can't get subscription updates so had to rehunt down this posting

roosterk: The preferred method is to use the virtual FFV sensor to change the compensation and spark tables correctly for high ethanol blends. This will provide the best results possible with the fuel. My method is more of an inbetween option due to the low engine usage times.

TD: Still on the stock injectors, when I tried to datalog the injectors with HPTuners, I couldnt' get a good Inj Duty Cycle reading so I'm not positive on how much room I have to play with full E85 yet. I also chose not to change the spark timing. One thing that is great about the Volt, is its 3 RPM operating zones. No real transitionary tuning required. The E78 ECU will almost always provide a maximum spark advance, detect knock, and pull timing immediately. The E85 tables were not really advanced compared tot he stock numbers, so I've just been running the stock gasoline values. I did verify there is no knock retard occurring with HPTuners though. Even on 91 octane I'd get knock with this vehicle.

If you have the Cruze injectors properly scaled and the right stoichiometry value in the HPTuners file, then there should be no issue with the MPG estimate being off.

What have you been getting on E50? While I haven't had to use fuel in 7 weeks, I will be forcing it to run in mountain mode for a couple trips to the ski resorts. I'll burn off some more fuel and do some data logging at that time.

I'm 2 years away form this project, but really tempted to find a junked Cruze with the 1.4T and seeing how well that turbo, manifold & piping fit in our engine bays....

I got my subscription notice email today. B)

Today we have about 3" of snow left on the ground and it's melting so mileage these days sucks. I even had ERDTT about 3 days this last few weeks (mod is ready to install). This summer I could get around 37 mpg @ 70 on E30 and maybe 34-35 on E50. I only ran premium (with ethanol) when I drove off the lot and was too excited to jot down the mileage. Next fill was E30.

I have mixed feelings about converting my Volt. I have an extended warranty so typically would remove my conversion on a nearly empty tank and fill with E10 to about E30, then return to E85 after service. The injectors are too hard to get at in the Volt so no chance of a 5 minute conversion box R&R time. OTOH, getting better mileage on E85 intrigues me, esp. if I can do it on stock injectors and the vehicles mpg display is accurate.

Edited by TD