TD

Anyone have a Chevy Volt running on E85?

You know the routine though.. fill it up with about E60 and you'll be fine 

Turns out you weren't far off.

Found this from the same guy who said E45 was a disaster:

I am approaching 60% ethanol vol/vol without throwing codes. link

Topped it off with E70 today and recalculated based on total amount filled (last night and today) and I'm close to E50. I'm still planning to hit the E50 blender in Alex on the way home Sunday.

Edited by TD

This is interesting, in particular post #2: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?8823-2012-VIN-Number-breakdown

I have the same engine. Pretty sure I'm going to try for a CEL tonight. :huh:

Morning Rick.. Yes all the press was that the Volt would be E85 Capable and then came to market without it...  Engine is we know that ..so I'd sure like to see the Fuel Map optionsa.. any chance their is a check box..enable flex fuel 

60/70% and you throw the CEL..as you already know that doesn't (necessarily) mean you are running lean, hook up your gauge and I'll bet you see Short fuel trims right in line.. 

THE QUESTION:

The Volt is a series hybrid meaning the power connection to the drive wheels is electrical only.  The traction motor powers the drive wheels via the traction battery.   The ICE in the Volt runs to provide charge to the traction battery.  The Prius and Ford Escape Hybrid have a split power (parallel) hybrid design meaning the power connection to the drive wheels can be mechanical like non-hybrid vehicles-electrical or a combination of both.

IS THE VOLT MORE EFFICIENT (less loss of mpg%) USING E85 THAN OTHER VEHICLES?

I guess we may find out in a couple of months when the weather gets a little warmer.

Hi Billy,

Actually there's a clutch that can turn it into a parallel hybrid, improving efficiency about 10-15%, usually at speeds above 30 mph. New model coming out later this year will be 2nd generation with new, lighter engine, better, lighter battery (50 mpg, 50 mile range, 5 seats).

Topped off with what I assume was E70 so should be right at E60 now, but with a short drive from station to home, not a great test of the new blend.However, were supposed to have a cold spell (below zero night temps) until Thursday and the ICE does run to warm the battery so some mornings I don't get much EV time in for the 7 mile round trip. I almost left the HV battery uncharged tonight to do a better job of testing E60.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read yesterday of a 4% mileage penalty for every 10°F drop in temp, due to increased friction and rolling resistance, and other inefficiencies.

I had a 20 mph head wind with temps in the 20's today and my first Interstate trip with E50 and can't say I saw great mileage and with 25+ miles of EV, that makes gas mileage testing harder. Might have to try a few trips with a dead HV battery to test properly.

That has to be the first time I ever read or hear that the Volt has a "device" to turn it from a series to parallel hybrid mode.   Is there limitations on distance/speed or whatever when driving in the "secondary mode?"   Enjoy reading about a different vehicle and capabilities but common sense needs to apply when real winter weather still exists.

That has to be the first time I ever read or hear that the Volt has a "device" to turn it from a series to parallel hybrid mode.   Is there limitations on distance/speed or whatever when driving in the "secondary mode?"   Enjoy reading about a different vehicle and capabilities but common sense needs to apply when real winter weather still exists.

I especially like the fact it's a better hybrid, even with an exhausted battery, than my Escape ever was. I don't have to baby the gas pedal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt#Drivetrain(under operating and driving modes):

While in this series mode at higher speeds and loads, (typically above 30 miles per hour (48 km/h) at light to moderate loads) the gasoline engine can engage mechanically to the output from the transmission and assist both electric motors in driving the wheels, in which case the Volt operates as a power-split or series-parallel hybrid. After its all-electric range has been depleted, at speeds between 30 to 70 miles per hour (48 to 113 km/h), the Volt is programmed to select the most efficient drive mode, which improves performance and boosts high-speed efficiency by 10 to 15 percent.

Edited by TD

I got a lean code on E60 today. I assume my Holiday station was still E70. :huh:

Looks like I stick with E50 or go back to E30. Once it warms up I'll have to play with it a bit.