Sign in to follow this  
Ethanol_Addict

A sight At The Pump

I was bored tonight and couldn't sleep so I did a price check at RaceTrac around 3am. When I pulled in the parking lot I noticed a younger guy no more than 19 years old in a flex fuel impala getting E85. I pulled in on the other side of the pump and wanted to make conversation and see what made him chose the E85 and if he uses it regularly or not. I found it very interesting that such a young guy was using E85. I wanted so bad to see if it was just due to the price being cheaper or if he knew it was American made or what his purpose for choosing it was. As I pulled up and was getting out he had finished fueling and was getting back in his car so I did not get the opportunity to ask. Anyway I just thought it was really cool to see a very young person filling up with E85 in a flex fuel vehicle. I hardly ever see someone else getting E85 when I do and usually they are 35+ years old and white so it was a shocker and I wanted to share. Sorry for any errors in my post, but I am using my phone to post and it is hard to look over the post for errors. Out of curioucity what demographics do you guys usually run into at the pump that fill with E85? Have you noticed that demographic changing as E85 becomes more common at gas stations and people become familiar with it?

Morning EA ...I see a lot of younger guys filling up on E85. A lot of them are driving the Mazdas ...WRX and such.

Thy are looking at the high octane ...and more interested in creating power..at a fraction of the cost of racing fuel.

I also see a lot of young soccer moms in SuVs filling ....usually for the price.

I am always pulling up with E85prices.com plastered all over the jeep.so a little easier for people to engage in conversation

Alot of the younger guys I have seen in the WRXs. They love to talk about it. They often pop the hoods and trunks and show me what they did... injectors etc. Middle aged guys it's usually a truck, and they don't talk much, but most of them say price.

The Impalas are the REAL old people like 70+... Them, I rarely ask. (Just kidding I like Impalas) 

I do get some looks sometimes from station patrons the seem to think I am some kind of idiot for putting E-85 in Hyundais.

Dan, you ever make any "official" bumper stickers with the logo?

Edited by Steve-O

Oh, don't even get me started on this one, my friend.  :lol:

Yellow hose has changed the opinion towards E85 for A LOT of folks up this way. I'll tell you, I can't think of a single demographic that I have NOT seen fill with E85. I now work at the Carriage Hills Marathon in the EL, and we have numerous regulars that come and fill with E85.

One of my favorites is a guy I went to high school with. He graduated the year before I did. He comes by several times a week and tops off his Impala with E85. He occasionally comes in and buys a pop or some chewing tobacco. He's very nice, and we joke around a lot when he comes in. The other day, I spoke to him over the intercom while he was pumping fuel, and said "sorry pump 7, but folks who went to Haslett High School aren't allowed to pump with E85". He laughed hysterically and waived. 

Anyways, I've seen a young kid barely over 18 fill his '95-'98 Ford Taurus with E85, I've seen middle aged folks fill with E85, and I recall seeing a group of kids pull up to the other side of the pump while I was filling the Charger with E85, and they chatted me up when they noticed how slow their pump was. They asked me if I knew where else in the area to get E85. My dad told me that this was "a little bit like asking the pope if he knows anything about being catholic".

Also, this one goes to you Dan... remember how a few months ago you said you'd pay for a pic of anyone in a luxury sports car like an Audi, Range Rover, or Jaguar fill with E85? I have now seen a Volkswagen Routan and a Range Rover at my station. While they put in gasoline, I found it incredibly interesting that they had yellow fuel caps!

Anywho, here's a blog post I typed up about this very topic:

http://allthingsc2h5oh.blogspot.com/2014/08/yellow-hose-and-how-it-is-affecting.html

I'm thinking our only chance of getting alt fuels(including corn-based E85)  to take off 

is by engaging the younger generations at the earliest possible chance.

This is the demographic most likely to care enough about the environment to

choose ANY alternative to gasoline and BIG OIL.

How 'bout a fleet of flex-fueled drivers ed.  vehicles?   Finding and fueling with alt. fuel  

could be part of the curriculum.  e85prices.com could shine like gold!