gasisoutrageous

My Charger doesn't seem to be too big of a fan of the cold

I just had the engine block heater that I received a week ago installed yesterday. I've been trying it out, and I'm starting to wonder why I hadn't done this before. It didn't seem to make a difference yesterday.

Today however, I plugged it in after I got home from work, and have left it plugged in. The Charger gave some hesitation starting when I left work earlier this evening at 20 above. It had been off between 9 this evening and when I started it up about 10 minutes ago... more than two hours. Having been plugged in for two hours, the Charger started up just fine! Now I just have to keep two 50' extension cords rolled up in the trunk!

I sent this one out in a text to a few folks. Here are the details:

Ambient Temp: 30°

Engine off-time: 90 minutes

I plugged it in when I got back home with the dad. I've decided to leave the engine block heater plugged in any time I'm home. But anyways, check out the temp that the engine was at when I started it this afternoon. While it was $300 after labor, that was a well-spent $300!

post-2293-0-70563700-1421700657_thumb.jpg

Block heaters is an old trick the hybrid users used to use to get into EV mode sooner. The older Escape hybrids even had a bettery warmer (trickle charger) tied into the block heater cord.

On really cold days (Sub Zero) I've noticed that my Ford Escape will periodically turn over one or two more times after being parked in the parking garage for eight hours at work if I'm running pure E85 (E70 seasonal) in the tank.   I've never had a problem with it failing to start.

We all know E85 is harder to start at low temperatures, and I suspect Spark Plug Energy, Injector size, and how quickly the engine is actually turning over all plays into the formula.

I'm gonna bet Dodge hasn't quite hit the magic combination with their new 3.6L Engines yet.    Wouldn't surprise me if a firmware update wouldn't be in the works.

Engine block heaters absolutely help.   On cold snaps here, when I know my Garage is going to get down below 20 degrees overnight, sometimes I'll plug it in.  I have mine set up on a combination of a Timer and a Thermal Cube (Made by Farm Innovators) that only powers the heater if It's between 4:00am and 8:00am and it's below 20F in the Garage.   That's a pretty rare occurance, but that heater pulls 600w..  That add up if your running it all the time.

WM

I've been singing my praises for the 3.6L Pentastar V6, because it puts out a lot of power for its size, and for those who use gasoline, it won't burn up and knock incessantly with 87 octane gasoline use. The engine also has great fuel economy for its size to boot, and it even warms up extremely quickly.

Nothing is perfect. The Sebring doesn't put out nearly as much power as the Charger does, but it also has not failed to start once (due solely to cold weather - it has failed to start due to mechanical issues).

Nice setup there - must have been difficult to set up. I've been fighting with the dad over how cold we keep the house (I would just turn the heat off or at least keep it below 60°, and the dad likes it at 63°-65°), so I'm saving him some money. Even if the engine block heater used a lot of energy, I'm saving my dad money :D

I just plug in the Charger every time I'm at the dad's, and leave it plugged in until I leave.

Let use know what kind of improvement in mpg you get now that the engine warms up even faster. My engine takes forever to warm up and its mpg stinks until it reaches operational temp. So I'm thinking of getting a block heater as well.

Thus far, I haven't had significant improvement in the mpg department due to snow driving, bald tires, and getting irritated with slow people on the roads. I do suspect that there will an improvement in the times ahead though.

I'm posting an update this morning. While the first blockbuster snowstorm worth speaking of for this sorry excuse of a winter season we're having missing us to the east, Michigan has turned a bit colder. We will be seeing a cold snap arrive a bit before the release of Big Hero 6 on iTunes next week... so I hope to get to try starting with negative numbers.

I started the Charger this morning at +8°F while plugged in... not even a lick of hesitation. Even warmed up quickly to boot! It hesitated to start at 25 above without being plugged in yesterday.

For Des Moines:

We got 5.7 inches in one storm a while back, but so far this winter has been a sleeper as far as snow fall goes.

We've had some cold days in November and some during the first week of January, but that's typical.   High here today is going to mid 50's, but they are saying cold air is back on it's way for this weekend along with a chance for some snow as well.

There's still a lot of February/March left though...