gasisoutrageous

My Charger doesn't seem to be too big of a fan of the cold

I almost always go out wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and sometimes flip-flops. I'm warm-blooded all the way.

But my car on the other hand, well, that's a different story. The engine warms up extremely quickly - taking at most 5 minutes to get to optimal operating temperature. But I've been noticing that the Charger has been giving me a lot of hesitation cold starting (starting after the engine is idle in cold weather for at least a couple hours), and has even failed to start altogether on a couple of occasions. Joe, who has the exact same engine I do - the 3.6 liter Pentastar V6 - has been telling me by text that he has been having a similar issue.

The Sebring never once had any issue starting in cold weather. At the beginning of last January, I started the Sebring after it had been covered in a foot of snow, off for two days, at 8 below fahrenheit, without any hesitation whatsoever. The Sebring was a block of ice. To really test it, I drove the Sebring back in March up to Gaylord. The Sebring had been off for 6 hours when I finally started it again, the ambient temp was around 20 below fahrenheit, and again, no issue starting on E85.

The Charger badly needed the spark plugs replaced. The mechanic at H&H Mobil couldn't assure me that this would alleviate the cold start hesitations, but that the plugs were worn and in bad need of replacement. Turns out, there has been no change in difficulty starting.

I broke down and bought an engine block heater today. That's $100 I didn't really have, but I'm hoping it'll do the trick. The mechanic told me I should put in a tank of regular here and there, but I told him flat out I wasn't going to do that. They all know me quite well at H&H, so the guy knew it'd be a tough sell. :P

I have been considering putting in E30, especially at these prices, but I must remain strong.

My 2014 Dodge Charger has the same 3.6L engine and I have not had any hard start issues at all. Now this is Texas and the coldest we have been since I purchased it was 28 degrees, but I would think at that temp after 8+ hours of sitting out in the cold I would witness it. Now I will say my 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 4.7L engine did have delayed and hard start issues in the winter. In the owners manual though it stated that on E85 fuel at temperatures below 40 degrees delayed and hard start was to be expected and normal due to the nature of the fuel. If you guys find what might be the cause please share, and if I have any issues as winter goes on I will post them here.

We've only been in single digits once so far since I've had the Charger, and I don't remember having any starting issues, but that was over a month ago. We are forecasted to get close to 0 tomorrow morning, and below zero at least once or twice this week. We shall see on that one. Having the spark plugs replaced does seem to have lowered the temperature at which I begin to have starting trouble by 10-15 degrees. A couple weeks ago, the Charger had a hard time starting at 45 above.

Any place to squirt a little starting fluid into the intake manifold. That will do the trick but don't over do it--just a sniff. My 1992 Toy 4x4 doesn't start the best when cold when I have E30 to 50 in it but there is a plug in the intake plenum that I take out and squirt ether and it starts almost instantly.

Well at this point, it's irrelevant. I got too crazy making a turn this morning, and one of the wheels slammed into a curb. Ever since, the car fishtails uncontrollably no matter how slow I go... so either the alignment is off or the rear axle is damaged.

Well at this point, it's irrelevant. I got too crazy making a turn this morning, and one of the wheels slammed into a curb. Ever since, the car fishtails uncontrollably no matter how slow I go... so either the alignment is off or the rear axle is damaged.

Ouch.. yeah that sucks. That has to be fixed