gasisoutrageous

An update on my FFVs

I haven't announced it in a while because I'm waiting for everything is still being finalized, but the dad is in the process of buying the Sebring. Because I have my own insurance policy - and it would be more expensive to have me on the parents' policy - I am legally no longer able to drive the Sebring. That is of course, unless I have a couple hundred bucks laying around lol. Right now he is transferring money for me to make the payments, but the Sebring is his. So now the dad has a flex fuel vehicle that works for him, is much better than the '04 Impala he had, and I am no longer able to bug the dad about not having an FFV.

I've put an incomprehensible amount of mileage on the Charger since I bought it in early June. We're around 18,000 miles now. In 4 months. The first 10k of that was in early August - which means 5k/month. 60k/year. It's no wonder money is tight!

I've finally got both of the parents to come around to the Charger, and both have admitted it is a fantastic car. LED ambient lighting inside the car at night, all leather and heated seating (all four seats), refrigerated and heated cupholders, heated sideview mirrors, and rain-sensing wipers. Wow this car is going to be awesome in the winter! Rear-wheel drive, now that's going to be a problem. I figure that the Sebring wasn't all that great in the snow, so the Charger can't be much worse, right?

Lol, you might try to find snow tires Aaron...........or do like me and drive Jeep for the winter ;)

Just be glad you don't have my Sister's new Challenger, part of the car's Super Track Pack option group is high performance summer tires! She may be stealing our parent's minivan some for her 3 residentual mile round trip to and from work.

I haven't announced it in a while because I'm waiting for everything is still being finalized, but the dad is in the process of buying the Sebring. Because I have my own insurance policy - and it would be more expensive to have me on the parents' policy - I am legally no longer able to drive the Sebring. That is of course, unless I have a couple hundred bucks laying around lol. Right now he is transferring money for me to make the payments, but the Sebring is his. So now the dad has a flex fuel vehicle that works for him, is much better than the '04 Impala he had, and I am no longer able to bug the dad about not having an FFV.

I've put an incomprehensible amount of mileage on the Charger since I bought it in early June. We're around 18,000 miles now. In 4 months. The first 10k of that was in early August - which means 5k/month. 60k/year. It's no wonder money is tight!

I've finally got both of the parents to come around to the Charger, and both have admitted it is a fantastic car. LED ambient lighting inside the car at night, all leather and heated seating (all four seats), refrigerated and heated cupholders, heated sideview mirrors, and rain-sensing wipers. Wow this car is going to be awesome in the winter! Rear-wheel drive, now that's going to be a problem. I figure that the Sebring wasn't all that great in the snow, so the Charger can't be much worse, right?

18,000 Miles in 4 Months.. !    Tell me you took at a 24 month loan and not a 72 month

I would park the Charger for the winter and drive your Dads new Car the Sebring  :D

I've heard the new Camaro's are pretty much worthless on snow, and they are RWD also.    Snow Tires for the win if your planning on driving it.    I got a set of them for my GF's old 1992 Buick Century and it handles the snow better than my AWD Escape did last year on the tires that had effectively met their end of life for snow.

I have a set up Continental LX20's on the Escape now, and I love them so far.   Can't wait to see how they do on the snow, but the reviews I have read seem to indicate they do very well.

The guy I bought the Charger from evidently had new tires put on about a month before I bought the car (as evidenced by the receipt I found in the glove box), so they have barely over 20,000 miles on them. I'm definitely going to be keeping some calcium chloride, cat litter, and a small shovel in the trunk once the flakes start flying. Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the biggest snow fans out there! It's a challenge to drive in it though.

So yesterday, I decided to do the math on how much it costs to own the Charger, since money has been tighter than ever lately. I found that when I factor in insurance, secretary of state fees, fuel (only 12 cents/mile - at least 4 cents/mile lower than with gasoline), maintenance and cleaning, depreciation of value, and monthly payments, it costs 53 cents for every mile I drive. That's more than twice what it was with the Sebring. To be fair however, that did not include SOS fees, insurance, or monthly payments. It costs over $1 to drive to the Old Town Speedway from the mom's place and back.

That charger is waaaay to nice to carry calcium chloride in the trunk unless you have a way to completely seal it- it is extremely hydroscopic and will virtually liquefy and then proceed to corrode everything in it's airspace. If you must carry a chloride -- potassium chloride (fertilizer potash- K2O) is less hydroscopic than all the other common deicers and will retain it's granular shape for traction. It too will be corrosive but less so- I would perhaps put it in a 20# kitty litter plastic pail with lid. it's ice melting effectiveness is similar to salt but will not act as effectively at as cold a temp as magnesium or calcium chlorides.

Just my 2 :D

Just be glad you don't have my Sister's new Challenger, part of the car's Super Track Pack option group is high performance summer tires! from work.

Challenger, huh?  My brother is the head of the Stateline Challengers car club out of Beloit, WI (on the border with IL).  We just had our fall car cruise this past Sunday.  We have a cruise in the Spring and Fall now, and went to various car shows, a drive in movie theater, and are going to a winery this Saturday.  If she's interested in running with more Challengers up this way.....

Hmm, I'm going to stay out of this one!  :lol:

Calcium chloride is the first thing that came to mind - I was just spitballing as to what chemical compound I wanted to use.  :D

I do think I should try that - I want something that works in extreme cold. 

To have all wheel drive probably would have added at least 2-3 grand to the cost of the car. It continues to allude me. With some fixes necessary, I'm not in the position to look for an auto with it... even if I wanted to. I must brag that I am indeed a pro in the snow. Last year, I intentionally drove over to New Buffalo (southwest corner of the state) just to drive in lake-effect snow.

You don't know driving in the snow until you've driven through lake-effect. Lake-effect is notorious for rapid changes in visibility. You can go from clear skies and perfect visibility to zero visibility, snow-covered roads, and heavy snow in as little as 1/4 mile. This event in November 2013 was no different. I-94 almost instantly was restricted down to one-lane traffic, with many cars in the ditch, and as mentioned, no visibility. Stevensville got as much as 17 inches of snow from that event! Just 10 miles east, jack diddly squat.

I've learned to avoid stopping at all costs- this is what causes an inability to get going. Drive slower, avoid distractions, etc. My parents admit that I drive in the snow as if I have 20 years of experience! :D

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that I met The Weather Channel meteorologist Mike Seidel in New Buffalo!

post-2293-0-48983700-1413378094_thumb.jpg

So you like snow and whiteouts eh? Comes to mind when I first moved to Wisconsin in 1981. A coworker was telling a story about a man who was driving near Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin and was following another driver in a whiteout real close so as not to lose track of him and later rearend him. Story proceeded to the point where the car in front stops, the guy gets out, opens his trunk and pulls out his ice fishing gear. Guy behind discovers he has followed the other onto Lake Winnebago.

At that point I said to myself- sure- another big tale to fool the Illinois/Indiana boy. Right- I'm not falling for that one.

4 years later I was driving in a really bad whiteout - so bad I could not pull off because roads were drifted in or invisible. There are no motels, no gas stations. I am following the guy in front slowly but only about a car length and a half back- could barely make out his taillights. suddenly I realized we were in the tiny town of Pipe- couldn't see the buildings but there was always this pipe over the road with the town name on it. THEN IT HIT ME- me an the guy in front were 1/4 mile east of one of the many access points onto Lake Winnebago.

LOL- now I believe!

Lol, your story reminded me of one I saw on a Jeep Cherokee owners forum called NAXJA! Another guy on the forum had gone to a snowmobile race with some buddies on a frozen lake in either WI or MN and after the races were over, they decided to get some food so when they got in the then fairly new Silverado with OnStar they decided to check with an OnStar operator (who is somewhere in the state of Georgia) on what would be a good place to eat at in the area. Well, when the operator pings the truck's location and sees that it's in the middle of a lake, he panicks and starts asking if anybody is injured, if the windows are down or up on the truck, if they need emergency services, and is in general "OMFG, THEY'RE GOING TO DROWN!!!!!!!!!!" Mode. I guess it took some convincing to get the guy to understand that it was so cold where they happened to be that the lakes froze over to the point you could safely drive on them and that they didn't need to be rescued by emergency services, but a good food recommendation would be nice.

Edited by BJoe