gasisoutrageous

Abnormally low mileage lately

I've been noticing ever since I got back from visiting Omaha and then the Mackinac bridge on Labor Day weekend, that the mpg numbers in the Charger have been downright abysmal. Yes, I have been doing a bit more city driving. As I mentioned in my EPA speech, I loathe East Lansing. I'm thankful East Lansing's 4 E85 pumps are towards the edge of the city.

I know E85 has lower mileage than gasoline, but still, this is ridiculous. With about 60-70% city driving, I've been achieving less than 18 miles per gallon. That's with some highway mixed in. Even on the highway, the mileage isn't as good as it should be. I managed to eek out 21.4 mpg since Tuesday, because I did a price run around Flint. The Charger has an 8 speed transmission, which means I should be getting better fuel economy on the highway. A car/weather friend of mine told me that while the 8 speed yields better fuel economy on the highway, it causes lower fuel economy in the city (as opposed to a 6 speed or lower) due to the transmission having to do more work to find the right gear/speed.

Could this have something to do with the fact that I had to run gasoline at the end of August? Normally, I'm the last person to complain about mpg numbers. Some things are more important to me than a few ms per g. But with an expensive car, it's difficult to get fuel and have any spending money.

I'm lucky if I can get 13-15 mpg in the city. With the Sebring, I had to do a lot of idling to get a number that low. I've really been debating whether or not I should get the Charger tuned for E85. I'm told it would cost around $200. Thoughts?

post-2293-0-02532500-1412383504_thumb.jpg

Check the easiest- tire pressures drop as temp cools. If stopping @ c-store for anything until vehicle is completely up to temp- DONT in cool weather. This big engine will warm slower than your former car and will be much poorer in cool/cold weather.

If it makes you feel better- my Avalanche loaded with tools, customer files, and survey equipment gets 17 MPG on a tank going downwind at 65 mph but only 14 driving in a corn field all day LOL You can add only 2mpg for crapoline.

Edited by 1outlaw

Yeah, this is all stuff that I had figured. The Charger actually warms up very quickly. Granted, we have yet to see temps below 40 in the time that I've had the Charger, but it definitely seems to warm up quicker than the Sebring ever did. Give it 10 seconds to let the fluids start flowing, and I'm good to go. Don't worry, I plan on saving up some money to go to northwest Minnesota this winter to experience sub zero temps like we don't see them here.

My main thought is as to whether or not I should look into getting it tuned. I'm leaning towards yes... I know I've had some recommendations.

Aaron after reading your other Post about putting 18K on in 4 Months ..again most of that is Highway miles so if you recently having taken as many out of town trips then yes your MPG is going to drop and as Bjoe was saying weather.. although .. You are probably seeing Winter Blend Ethanol now (70-75%)..so MPG actually should rise 1 mpg or so