Sign in to follow this  
BigGreen

Federal Law prohibits using E15 in non-FFV's

That isn't new. To be technical, no law actually prohibits use of E15 in non-FFVs; it only states that E15 is approved for use in any vehicle model year 2001 or newer, or a flex fuel vehicle of any model year.

It does however, state that the use of E15 in boats and small engines is prohibited, which IMO is actually a good thing - even though the ethanol industry has no liability in the first place for folks filling incompatible engines with E15, but this label is required at all E15 dispensers. I point to this every time I hear a chicken little story about E15.

I have posted on this before, but it would technically be a Clean Air Act violation to intentionally misfuel a vehicle that is not approved for the fuel in question. It is why we now have common hose rules for E15 and E10/E0. Those include the 4-gallon minimum and the dedicated fueling position options. Not a single person has ever been charged or fined, but the law is there. Same would be true of putting E85, E30 or E50 in a non-flex-fuel vehicle.