Sign in to follow this  
BigGreen

FFV or Upgrade?

Well, a new addition will be coming to the household.

Since the list of FFV vehicles here is very limited, I was aksing myself if in fact a OEM FFV vehicle would be more sufficient than a upgraded one.

I have not heard of any computer or software updates regarding the ones used in FFV's (another one nobody wants to talk about).

So I was wondering if, when fine-tuning the mixture with the internal dial, I might be better off (in terms of fuel consumption) of upgrading a regular vehicle. I know I will be better off already because I can get a vehicle with a smaller engine (no need for hybrid anymore). With getting around 40 mpg already, I can live with even a 5 mpg loss, still 35 mpg, way better than what the FFV manufacturer advertise?

Anybody ever thought about this or looked into it?

Greetings!

Fine tuning the dial will not change the MPG, the car's ecu will put in more fuel to maintain the correct fuel mixture (when the car in in closed loop mode).  The dial only will affect open loop when the car is cold, or at full throttle when the ecu uses a map instead of feed back from the o2 sensor.   The kit's will throw off the factory economy gauge if that's important to you as well.

Current Focus with the 2.0 FFV would be my choice of a new/used car, manual or old auto tranny instead of the AM6(automated manual) if still available, but the AM6 does drive nice and 2 years of production it should be getting more reliable. (rented on last year and younger brother has a 2012 Focus Titanium with AM6. 

I can't seem to post a link, but search samsriverside in Des Moines has several 2014 Focus with light hail and 27-30 miles for 13,500 & 13,900 with clear titles so still full warranty (salvage titles even with 10 miles = 0 factory warranty, some recall coverage)

I'm have  E30 in my 09 Cobalt XFE right now, half way thru and at 39 mpg.   Could be better but did 90 miles of 70-75 that I usually don't, going to do another 50 miles today at 70+ so will drop my tank average a few mpg.   E10 nets 42.5 average last 3 tanks.

David

2013/2014 Dodge Darts 2.0's are rated 34 hwy is the next highest factory FFV, followed by the 2010/2011 Malibu 2.4 6 sp auto's at 33.  I'm not sure current Malibu's are even FFV. 

The 2013 Equinox/Terrain with 2.4 6 speed is rated 32 hwy, but seems to have a rap of not making rating.  My MIL has a Terrain  and I know she can't but doubt she ever has in any car. 

EPA calculates E85 loss using a 28-30% loss, no real testing.  I owned a 2002 Suburban for a few years, it lost 18% over quite a few miles (records are on fuelly)

My wife drives a 2010 Impala 3.5 ffv, I don't have as good of records on regarding different fuels, I know I can get 35 mpg E10 at 55, I think I can get 29-30 with E85 same drive.  Calculates out to pretty much same 18% loss.  

Edited by roosterk

There is no 'Fine-tuning' needed (read the manual). The internal dial is all you should adjust. Then you are the maximum what you can do. And burn less fuel, in case of our van, consumption went down at least 4 or 5 mpg. The Dodge was a little less.

I certainly wont drive a Chevrolet (it probably either will burn up or be in the shop for recall :P ). And a Focus is a small car and too expensive compared to, well, competitors.

Just found out that the new Hyundai Sonate Eco (4-cylinder) will be a GDI, E50 approved in Europe, therefore a great choice to upgrade and to drive on E85. The Genesis is too, just can't afford it.

I have searched extensively online, did not find anything about the deveolpment of FFV's througout the year. Besides certain components in the fuel system claimed to be different, there is always talk about the computer which controls everything, different in FFV's (added by a upgrade box to non-FFV's), I was just wondering how this is going.

Greetings!

I thought most of the conversion don't work for DI cars?  My last too tanks in my stock 2009 cobalt xfe running almost E50 I'm still breaking 40 mpg.  Last few E10 tanks were 42.5.   I'd like to run E85, but for now 50's gonna do, half E10 and half E85.

Attach a snip of my fuel log,

post-2636-0-33312400-1406067297_thumb.png

Edited by roosterk