Sign in to follow this  
BigGreen

Special Oil for cars using Ethanol

Sludge and corrosion? That's gasoline they are thinking about. There are fuel treatments out there to keep carbs and fuel lines clean while using ethanol, any snake oil they can conjure I guess. They only thing you have to worry about while running ethanol is getting the oil hot enough to evaporate the condensation that naturally occurs in all engines.

Anything to make a buck while spreading erroneous crap about ethanol.

Sludge and corrosion? That's gasoline they are thinking about. There are fuel treatments out there to keep carbs and fuel lines clean while using ethanol

I you use Top Tier gasoline, you don't have to worry about any fuel treatments. Another big money maker.

Greetings!

I just changed oil in my Focus after 8200 miles of E85. It still looked clean but did have a hint of ethanol smell. No short trips either---minimum of 30 miles one way and 2900 miles  in a four days. Oil is the Motorcraft 5/20 semi synthetic.

Edited by cessna

My oil has an ethanol aroma to it, no way around it really. Part of the reason you have to change it with gasoline is dilution by the gas. Since I run a carb in a 1970 vintage car, it smells like ethanol all the time. People seem to like it around here.

We just bought a 2013 used Ford Explorer FFV and sold our non-flex 2010 GMC Acadia. So far I see no comment in the manual about changing oil change intervals or oil types if using E85-- which is good because we all know there is no need for such. It does contain the statement about switching back to gas before oil change- I am sure that is just because when in the shop the mechanics will not have to keep voltage on the PCM to retain the E85 settings should they have to do other work in the shop (such as battery change).

BTW- it got filled with E85 for the first time ever tonight (previous owner never used E85). With E85 @ <80% of gas price-the pumps were busy tonight.