Outlaw I did a retest from the hose with the method you posted. I got a final result of E91 or E92. I guess taking into consideration the 5% error of margin you stated, that could place it at E86 to E87. This time there was definitely a little more gas that separated out than last time. I am not sure if it is due to the fact that your method used more water than the way I did it last time which caused more separation, or if the ethanol content is different this time than last. I also have not noticed any "cold start" issues on this tank versus the last several tanks. Who knows. Thanks for the help in testing the fuel though. :)

Edited by Ethanol_Addict

I would suggest pumping into a 2 1/2 gal container, then sampling from that. This is particularly important if from a blender or a multi-product dispenser which could hold a quart in the manifold of the pump. Collect this sample towards the end of filling your car.

Let E85 sample be at the same temperature as the (preferably distilled) water used in the sample. Play close attention to settle times- don't rush it but do not wait more than 10 minutes either.

The sample method I posted was the one recommended by the DOE over the years- less water makes for more variation.

Well here we do not have blender pumps and it is an E85 dedicated hose so no contamination issues and I always collect the sample at the end of the fill which is 34 gallons later. Also I let it sit about an hour at room temperature so that the water and fuel are both room temperature. I let it set the 15 minutes that your test said to. Before I used less water and less than 10 minute settle time which gave a higher ethanol concentration. The high water amount and longer settle time from your test that you said is from DOE resulted in a lower ethanol content. To be honest I am done testing the ethanol content. I just wanted to know if I was really getting anything close to 85% ethanol or if it was like some stations I have read on here that sell 50-70% ethanol content and call it E85.