So for the past 6 weeks or so I have started having rough idle in my FFV when I start it until it warms up. There is no starting issues. It fires right up, but just has a slight rough idle for about a minute. I tried to think of a reason for this, and finally just decided to test the ethanol content of the E85 at the Kroger where I purchase my fuel. Not sure that I did the test exactly right, however, it being around E98 would explain the slight rough idle until warm up correct? Any thoughts on this? Also, say my test IS correct, can Kroger sell a fuel with over 85% ethanol, and is it ok for my FFV to run on a blend higher than 85% ethanol?

Really? Well aside from the fact that this would be an extremely unlikely thing, posting on THIS board it may also create a run on the pump before they would be able to fix the issue if it is true :) FFVs will probably run on E-98 alright yep, and a rough idle may just be a consequence of it. Is this possible that you may be pumping E-98?

. As a blender I'd have no problem splashing E-98 with the bad stuff.

Edited by Steve-O

Steve-O I think it would make good sense to do it. Why would it be unlikely? To me it would be attractive for the distributor to sell E98 to Kroger with out the added cost of blending in more gasoline. My understanding is the more ethanol content the cheaper the price per gallon. If that is truly the case then the distributor is making more profit charging the same price. On the other hand it could be Kroger making more profit if they are getting the higher ethanol content cheaper than E85 since the price is still a fixed difference of 50 cents a gallon less than 87 octane gasoline. Also, this would help the fuel industry in meeting the RFA requirements by pushing more ethanol to be used by people with FFVs that have components built for high ethanol tolerances. In Texas its pretty warm so the higher content would not be an issue during the summer months. My cold start issues have been on days when the vehicle sat all day and I started it late at night when it had cooled off. The rest of the time when it is higher temps I do not have this issue. My results of 98% maybe a little high but it is most definitely in the 90% range. I will test again the next time I fill up and see what the results are. Maybe it was a fluke with that batch delivered, who knows. This now has me curious if anyone has recently tested any E10 to see if ethanol levels are in fact 10% or if they are elevated as well? I may purchase a small amount of E10 at the same Kroger just to see what the ethanol percentage is of the E10 as well. There are no blender pumps here so no worries of contamination from the E85 with the E10 because they use two totally separate hoses.

CPLHICKS I did not use a test kit. I took a graduated cylinder and placed 25 ml of water then 75 ml of E85 which I then agitated and then let sit for a couple of minutes. The gas floating on top was approximately 2-3 ml which would work out to roughly 2.5-4% gasoline by volume. If I did the test wrong or my math is wrong please let me know. I think I did it correctly though.

My only question around this was: Is it even legal to dispense E-98 from a retail pump? Since I run E-40 or more in my regular NON FFVs, when I finally get an FFV I would probably be the first person to buy E 98 if I could. In June, July, and August that is :) I am just not aware if this is even something that can be done.

Here is the correct way to test E85- see link.

No- selling E98 is not legal unless from a blocked pump and labeled as E98 for race vehicles only (at least that is Wisconsin's rules-- EPA is likely the same)

It is very unlikely you got E98- more likely something is going on with your engine. Be aware that the water test for E10 is relatively accurate (will test E8-E12-- so within 2-3%) and the states watch very closely for E10 being higher than labeled. The water test for E85 is very inaccurate. Being off 5% is very common- temp, fossil gas used, water used, sit time, and such are just too variable. Have often seen racers claim they are getting E90 when I am sure this is not the case. Another test uses a GM test tool with a drop as a sample- time exposed to air and equip calibration also create variability. State labs often dilute E85 with gas down to where they can use their chromatographs then extrapolate back- also not real accurate.

E85test.pdf

Addict- please list vehicle model, year, miles, etc. There were programming issues with several models concerning the algorithm used to calculate alcohol content. Also- do you fill and drive at least 5 miles before shutdown or possibly fill within <2 miles from home after switching fuels.

Do you ALWAYS run E85 or switch sometimes?

Have you rerun the test on the E85 alcohol content? If so how did you collect your sample- from hose or a 2 1/2 gal container?

BTW- my personal and former small fleet of FFVs put on around 1 million miles on E85- with not one issue other than the programming issue. All of those vehicles to my knowledge are still alive. Two of them are in the hands of my boys and have >240,000 miles on them and still with 100% original fuel systems. Same for the old Taurus I drove.

Edited by 1outlaw

I hope you guys were able to see my sarcasm in my last response about ethanol ruining my engine. To answer the questions though it is a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 4.7L V8 flex fuel engine with roughly 110,000 miles on it. As for when I fuel up it is about 10-12 miles from my house so when I fill up I fill the entire tank, and then I drive 10-12 miles home. Since the beginning of the year I have ran nothing but E85. I do not mix E85 and regular E10 gasoline. As for the testing no I have not retested yet as I do not need to fill up again yet. I tested from the hose when I did. Any other questions feel free to ask.