Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

Iowans buy record amount of E85 in first quarter

Iowa motorists bought a record 2.7 million gallons of E85 in the first quarter of 2014, 48 percent over the first quarter of 2013, the Iowa Renewable Fuels Association said today.

E85 is a fuel blend containing between 70 and 85 percent ethanol.

"As the EPA debates slashing 2014 requirements under the Renewable Fuel Standard, the cost-savings of ethanol-blended fuels continues to grow and Iowans are purchasing E85 at a record rate," said Monte Shaw, association's executive director.

"When you follow-up a record year for E85 sales in 2013 with record E85 sales in the first quarter of 2014, it's further proof that when given the choice, consumers will choose cleaner-burning, lower-cost ethanol blends," he said.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has proposed rolling back the amount of renewable fuels such as ethanol and biodiesel that must be blended into the nation's gasoline supply.

State and federal leaders in Iowa have opposed the proposal, saying it would hurt Iowa's economy and increase the nation's reliance on foreign oil, among other arguments.

Iowa is the leader in renewable fuels production, with 42 ethanol refineries capable of producing over 3.8 billion gallons annually, and three cellulosic ethanol facilities currently under construction. In addition, Iowa has 12 biodiesel facilities with the capacity to produce nearly 315 million gallons annually.

EPA's decision is expected this summer.

Thanks for the article Dan. This is fantastic news quarter after quarter. Not in the least a bad thing... but what's the point of setting a record just to set it again next quarter? When I drove through Iowa last week, I was taken aback at how committed to renewable fuel they are. Freeway signs have a little blue E85 sign with a pump symbol below the main sign, and they even direct you to the stations!

There weren't many areas in Iowa that I recall NOT passing wind turbines. Biodiesel is much easier to find out there, and I even passed a vehicle advertising its use.

its a first quarter record for sales in 1 state. Not a record quarter overall in the same one state. I know easier said than done but I sure would like th see the same chart, but national sales in gallons. Or at least for my state as well as Iowa. The Wisconsin corn gowers advertise heavily on the statewide radio Milwaukee Brewers broadcast. Although.... I could write a better ad :)

Thanks for the info Dan.

Radio spots

http://www.wicornpro.org/radio_spots.php

Edited by Steve-O

With regard to the density of wind turbines in Iowa: 

• Wind provided about 27% of Iowa’s total electricity generation in 2013; it was second only to coal as an energy source for electricity generation in the state. 

http://www.eia.gov/state/?sid=IA#tabs-4

My employer's 400,000 ft^2 manufacturing facility uses 100% renewably electricity provided primarily from Iowa wind farms. Wind energy from Central and Northwestern Illinois makes up the most of the remainder.

From the same site:

With a production capacity of 1.5 billion gallons per year, Illinois is a top producer of ethanol;

http://www.eia.gov/state/?sid=IL#tabs-4

Edited by storky