HuskerFlex

60mgy "energy tobacco" plant in North Carolina... seriously!

http://www.ethanolproducer.com/articles/11152/nc-plant-to-restart-with-corn-transition-to-energy-tobacco

NC plant to restart with corn, transition to energy tobacco

Danville, Virginia-based Tyton BioEnergy Systems plans to restart the former Clean Burn Fuels ethanol plant soon. The 60 MMgy facility will initially restart using corn feedstock, but plans to later transition to the use of energy tobacco. The 60 MMgy plant, located in Raeford, North Carolina, has been idled for more than three years. According to information released by North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory’s office, the project is expected generate 79 jobs and invest $36 million in the local economy over the next three years...

Information published to Tyton’s website highlights several benefits associated with the use of tobacco as a feedsock for biofuel production. According to the company, tobacco has a naturally low lignin content, which reduces cellulosic production costs. The cultivation of tobacco is also well understood by farmers, with the crop currently produced in more than 100 countries. Tobacco is a low water usage plant and doesn’t disrupt the global food supply. The company has also stressed that its energy tobacco cannot be smoked or chewed. The growing methods for energy tobacco are also different than those for traditional tobacco. For example, energy tobacco plants are grown at high density and planting and harvesting are fully mechanized. The costs to grow energy tobacco are significantly lower than the cost to grow traditional tobacco.

Tyton has also noted that its energy tobacco is more efficient than traditional biofuel crops. The company said that one acre of its energy tobacco can produce three times the amount of ethanol and three times the amount of biodiesel when compared corn and soy.

According to the governor’s office, Tyton plans to work to grow its energy tobacco and establish local rural processing facilities over the next five years. Those rural processing facilities will produce sugar for use as an ethanol feedstock, oil for biodiesel production and biochar soil amendments...

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************

So cellulosic ethanol, biodiesel, and bio char... produced well outside the "ethanol belt"...  should be interesting.

Seriously "energy tobacco"... this is a new one for me.  Best of luck to them.  It will be interesting to follow them on this.

http://www.laurinburgexchange.com/news/news/4919228/Hoke-refinery-to-use-tobacco-to-create-ethanol

...Over the next five years, the company plans to establish rural processing facilities that will convert the tobacco into sugar for ethanol and oil for biodiesel as well as market a byproduct called biochar, a high-carbon soil additive. It is unclear where those facilities will be located...

...The plant will at first use corn, transitioning to tobacco sugar as area farmers begin to cultivate the “energy tobacco.”

“Farmers can get into the energy business and help North Carolina and our nation become energy independent,” said Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler. “With North Carolina’s history and expertise in tobacco, this is an excellent opportunity to ensure tobacco farming’s viability.”...

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

the addition of biochar to soils in this region will have a great effect for other plants in the rotation.  Will help retain soil nutrients, and water for plants to access later in the year.

I read a few years ago that cellulosic ethanol can be made from coffee grounds. In fact they are a decent cellulosic feedstock. Seems to me Starbucks has an opportunity here....

And, hemp is said to be a good feedstock for conventional ethanol.

Husker I won't even comment on that but it goes right on that can of worms you opened. :)

Edited by Steve-O

wow, between the alcohol, and the nicotine... our cars will be total addicts!  Suppose they can make ethanol from coffee grounds?  Our cars could then have alcohol, nicotine, and caffine!

I have to wonder, if you have a bunch of cars start up at the same time while burning both corn and tobacco ethanol, will the parking lot start smelling like a bar a closing time?

Guess it's a good thing you can't program a car to be a womanizer too............

As a non-smoker I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand a better feedstock is most definitely needed to help biofuels replace gasoline. One the other side I'd hate to support a plant cigarette companies have used to destroy peoples health. Does anybody think using tobacoo as a feedstock for biofuels will decrease cigarette companies access to production? Is this just a case of choosing the lesser of two evils?

As a non-smoker I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand a better feedstock is most definitely needed to help biofuels replace gasoline. One the other side I'd hate to support a plant cigarette companies have used to destroy peoples health. Does anybody think using tobacoo as a feedstock for biofuels will decrease cigarette companies access to production? Is this just a case of choosing the lesser of two evils?

I'd rather see them making Ethanol than cigarettes..... In the USA smoking has dropped in half the last 50 years ..from Wikipedia" Smoking rates in the United States have dropped by half from 1965 to 2006 falling from 42% to 20.8% of adults.[13] As of 2014, the current number of American smokers is 18.1% according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.[14]

So this is actually a good thing for the tobacco Industry and the general population .. Smoking was an accepted  behavior by our Society for a long time.. The Tide against smoking happened very quickly actually and yes the T Industry acted pretty disgusting as they we're losing Marketshare..but growing Tobacco and making ethanol from it could bring a lot of Jobs back to Tobacco Country ..and more supporters of ethanol/E85 . Kind of a win win for everyone

And, hemp is said to be a good feedstock for conventional ethanol.

I just sprayed a bunch in the fence line that is still around from WW2 when they made rope. Also, took this picture a couple of weeks ago of some tobacco for smoking or chewing east of Danville about 50 miles where I used to live. It's a pretty crop.

IMG_3682_zps03a5a099.jpg

Edited by cessna