gasisoutrageous

More power AND better fuel economy - My 2012 Dodge Charger!

Just for kicks, I decided to rummage through the glove box on Sunday. In it, I found a receipt for new tires dated April 26th, as well as another maintenance receipt. Good to know it has new tires, and was kept well! Also, the seller kept the original invoice! Can't believe he saved that. I took to the liberty of taping it back together and laminating it. I also found my registration, which it thought I had lost - and which caused trouble at customs.

post-2293-0-01931400-1402544144_thumb.jpg

I find it very interesting that the last option listed on the window sticker is "Flex Fuel Vehicle" which carries a price of $225. :o My 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 is a Flex Fuel Vehicle and did not have an Optional Equipment listing where there was an increase in price due to it having this option. It was just simply stated under the engine specification portion where the size and type of engine was listed. So my question for all of you guys who have been in the ethanol world longer than myself is this: on what year model did Chrysler start listing Flex Fuel as "Optional Equipment" with an extra charge, and is that still the practice today,or was it just with the 2012 year model specifically?

That's a good question, wonder if that is a dealer "price adjustment", since the Flex Fuel Pentastar is the standard in those cars. I paid more for my 200 to be Flex Fuel, but the Pentastar was the optional upgrade engine and required the purchase of the 6 speed auto, plus the motor couldn't be had in anything lesser than the Touring trim level............which was a step or two above the LX rental queen anyway and nearly impossible to tell the difference outside of tailpipe count and finish (1 plain steel vs 2 chromed tips), fuel cap color ( black vs yellow), and rolling stock (17" steelies with plastic caps vs 17" silver painted aluminum rims, mine has the optional silver painted 18's), ect.

As we've discussed in other sections of this forum, automakers have effectively stopped placing flex fuel badges on the backs of vehicles. Now, Ford and Chrysler are making newer vehicles without filler caps (with the "cap" actually built into the fuel door. With my Charger, the only identification that it is a flex fuel vehicle is a lousy "E85" sticker on the bottom of the fuel door.

The $225 price is actually the price for the rear spoiler. It looks to me like they just stuck "flex fuel vehicle" on there in some random spot. Why under the section "optional equipment" section, I don't know.

I've talked to a number of people who've told me they were turned off from a flex fuel vehicle was the higher sticker price they seem to find with FFVs. Making a vehicle flex fuel doesn't cost much additional to the automaker though, FFVs tend to hold their value longer.

That 8 speed is a proper auto and was designed by ZF IIRC, but is built in the same Kokomo, Indiana plant the 6 speed auto in my 200 was built in.

Thanks Cessna. It's an automatic with the shifter in the center console. Thankfully the Sebring had that, so I'm used to the setup. I can't stand a stick shift, and will never buy a manual transmission.

Unfortunately, the transmission was actually made in Germany. The advantage that I had with my Sebring was that 82% of its parts are sourced to North America, and the car itself was assembled in Sterling Heights, the heart of auto country. The Charger was built in the Toronto suburb of Brampton, and only 63% of the parts are sourced to the US/Canada.