gasisoutrageous

More power AND better fuel economy - My 2012 Dodge Charger!

I was waiting until we had the finances worked out to announce it, but I got a new(er) car! I found this one parked in Haslett with a for sale sign last Wednesday night. I called the owner, made arrangements to meet with him, and finally test drove the car on Friday! That essentially sealed the deal. Finally picked it up this afternoon.

This car has factory-installed remote start, heated driver AND passenger seats, LED-lit cupholders, a touchscreen with navigation and bluetooth connectivity to my phone, a power moonroof, fuel economy gauge, beats audio (yes, the Dr. Dre one!), and SO MUCH MORE! This car is about 120 horsepower or so higher than the Sebring, and also gets better fuel economy. If I was able to push the Sebring to 37 mpg, there is no reason I can't push this above 40! I put in the inaugural fill at H&H Mobil today. 

Of course due to parental objections, I was forced to get my own insurance policy. Eh, one thing at a time.

post-2293-0-06058600-1401934865_thumb.jpg

Morning Aaron.. Congrats on the new Charger !   

Of course due to parental objections, I was forced to get my own insurance policy. Eh, one thing at a time.

Pretty soon they'll be charging you rent..what the heck is the world coming too  :D 

Thanks! So far I'm getting 24-25 mpg overall (pushing it up to 40 at times). Not as great as I expected for the overall, but this car has never seen E85, seeing as how the person I bought it from was the first and only owner, and only ever used E10. Also, it just has to break in E85, and this is still better than the 19-21 overall I was getting with the Sebring.

I should note that the tailpipes have a thick layer of soot on them! That will disappear once I clean them, and stay gone!

To boot, I bought a GM flex fuel badge to stick on the back. Thoughts?

post-2293-0-63556500-1402078385_thumb.jpg

The 3.6l Pentastars are all 10:1 compression, no matter what vehicle it's in. They're also all Variable Valve motors, so the car adjusts it's own cam timing on all 4 cams too! I think that's why the little motor works so well on E85 yet can still run regular gas without knocking itself to death.

Oh yeah, reminds me of when I got my '85 TransAm. Had to insure that thru my dad's fuel oil business. He had to make me an employee to get insurance. Seems to me it still was $250 a month, if my memory was correct, a lot cheaper than what it would be otherwise. I was not a bad driver needing risk insurance. Had that puppy up to 145 mph once, racing a 'cuda on the highway.... :D

Edited by TD

I'd tell that goofy looking fellow in the picture to get his hands off of it though... :D

Nah, I think I'll let him keep it and drive it for 10 years or so. :D

This car also has satellite radio, and even has refrigerated and heated cupholders! I never thought I'd have this kind of a car, much less one with this many features. Of course, I need to give a shoutout to my credit union - MSUFCU, you rock!

Aside from dealing with customs on the way back yesterday morning, I was able to make the entire 350 mile drive from the Marathon in the Soo to a point 30 miles into Canada, and back. I've also done 120+ miles of driving around Lansing on this tankfull. It's immensely nice that I am able to get over 500 miles out of each fill. The fills are only about $45-$50, and once I stop breaking the car in (you know I can't resist! 1500 miles since I got the car on Wednesday :D ). I could easily stretch a tank 10 days. That will save a lot of money.

I now have the nicest car in this part of the area, so I have to be careful. It's nice that the fuel cap locks. The insurance policy is very reasonable... and is only as high as what it is because I have to have low deductibles due to credit union prerequisites. Even at my young age, no tickets or accidents, as well as lots of driving experience in the snow and extreme weather, goes a long way.

This will take some getting used to though. Even the smallest amount of pressure on the accelerator pedal gets a 0 to 60 time of 9 seconds. I'm still unable to get either of the parents to understand how significant this car is to me and the cause I work to promote. Now I don't have to worry about the mileage - I may have a harder time in the snow with RWD, but the Sebring was horrible in the snow anyways. Just have to keep some salt, cat litter, and a small shovel in the trunk.