Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

First railcar of sugar beet ethanol shipped

Aventine Renewable Energy Inc., a producer, marketer and end-to-end supplier of ethanol, announced last week that its first railcar shipment of ethanol produced at its Aurora West facility in Aurora, Neb., using sugar beet sugar as feedstock occurred.

“We are excited to have Aurora West up and running, creating local jobs, and contributing to the Nebraska economy,” said Mark Beemer, Aventine’s president and CEO. “This marks an important milestone in Aventine’s continuing story of innovation and demonstrates our leadership in the ethanol industry. By producing sustainable green energy, we’re also helping to ensure America’s domestic energy security.”

The company has hired 52 employees to date, and expects to hire 18 more in the next two months, for an annualized payroll of $4.6 million. It was noted that the company has already injected $10.6 million into the local Aurora economy through expenditures on operational needs.

Aventine Renewable Energy, with headquarters at Pekin, Ill., is a producer and marketer of industrial and fuel ethanol and related byproducts, bio-products and co-products related to ethanol production.

I'm trying to generate some interest in ethanol from beets here in Northern Colorado.

Finding out it will take alot of work. I may have to lay groundwork for a fleet of blender pumps .  :)

I was just back home to my brother's farm (about 30 miles from this plant) and this is NOT good news there.  The sugar is being trucked (or railed) in from western nebraska.  The city/county and area coop invested a lot of money into infrastructure to make this plant possible.  There were some financial difficulties in bad timing of the market it getting the plant up and running...  I don't know how the bad will started, but there are law suits going back and forth on either side not fulfilling their obligations.

The theory in the farming community is that the decision to use beet sugar was a way to "stick it to" the coop (and their farmer members), by NOT using local corn...  There is a lot of ill will in the local community about this plant, and it's operators.

That's what I see here in Colorado.  Our planted beets acres are up this year, and looks like the co-op is

driving the decisions about how much to plant.  Hope they don't get caught with a big surplus.

Planted acres in this state pales in comparison to MN, or even Idaho.

It seems to me a compromise should be struck .  Planted acres for energy beets can help  the position of

the sugar mills , and add to choices in crop rotation. This shouldn't be a problem. Everyone wins.