Sign in to follow this  
jeepn30

With direct injection all the rage...

It seems like direct injection engines are now showing up everywhere.  Ford's eco boost uses it, Mercedes and BMW have followed suit, and all sorts of other car companies are putting them out on the market.  The downside is that you can't slap a flex fuel conversion kit on them and be on your merry way.  Any news on converting these cars to E85?  Would it pretty much be just a fuel mapping thing?  I have a friend that has a new BMW 3 series and he said they have a tuning kit that will allow him to run a 50/50 mix with E85 to boost horsepower.  Just wondering if almost every new car ends up being direct injection down the road, will this deter E85 conversions?

Edited by jeepn30

My guess would be the injectors and fueling systems they run, and if they're the same for the Brazilian market as what other countries get. If they are, it could be as simple tricking or programming the computers to push the extra fuel needed!

Not sure what makes you think that a flex fuel conversion kit wouldn't work on direct injection. Both DI and squirting into the intake manifold depend on injector "on" time to keep the mixture correct. My Flex Fuel  Ford Focus is direct injection.

GDI engines have been around since the early 90's, but as so often, the US is way behind.

There was a big fight over the patent right from the beginning, so many car manufactures had to pay license fees to the originator in order to be allowed to use the technology, but were not allowed to advertise that they used GDI engines (thus the owner/shop manuals did say so).

The reason this was done was because of the stricter emission laws in Europe which forced the manfucturers, already producing fuel efficient cars, to take quick action.

On a side note, Europe did not have a law for catalytic converters before 1985, which caused all kinds of issues including the above. First fuel injector cars had a mechanical fuel injection (K-Jetronic, thank you Bosch!)

Greetings!

Not sure what makes you think that a flex fuel conversion kit wouldn't work on direct injection. Both DI and squirting into the intake manifold depend on injector "on" time to keep the mixture correct. My Flex Fuel  Ford Focus is direct injection.

On Jonnyenergy's website (along with others), it says the kits don't work with direct injection models.

I have tested non-FFV engines as FFVs using HPTuners & EFILive to properly fill out the alcohol related tables. The 3.6L DI engine from GM has been my favorite so far, only had a 10-15% drop in fuel mileage where many MPFI engines give a full 15-20%. The injectors for all the non-FFV GM vehicles I've looked at have the exact same flow rate rating as the FFV versions of the same engine. For example, the 2.4 & 3.6L (.6L/cyl) have the same injector flow rates whether FFV or non according to the HPTuners files I've looked at. No part swapping should be needed.