Sign in to follow this  
CPLHICKS

Best settings inside conversion box?

I know most conversion boxes have a potentiometer inside that you can change between 0 and 10.  Most ship at settings of 5 or 6.  Has anyone played around with these?  What setting do you find is best for MPG, and what's best for power?

Hi CPL,

There is no magic number to give you both power and economy, but most people will tell you leaner might give you a little bit (teeny bit) more mileage. On my conversion, if I go any leaner, I'll throw a lean code when my AC is turned on, so I just leave it there year round. If you're going to mess with it, hopefully you have a conversion that has easy access to that pot. One of my conversions has the pot accessible to the outside, but the one I prefer to use (and has a temperature sensor) has to have 4 screws removed to get to it.

Every vehicle is a bit different.  General rule is that most vehicles work well at the setting the units are delivered.

I agree, hardly worth messing with it, if it's running well.

What Johnny said is exactly correct.  Every vehicle is different.  For instance, on my old Bronco 2, the correct setting is 5.5.  Not just 5, it has to be 5.5.  If it's any more, the mileage drops off fast.  If it's any less, it will want to stall on full strength E85 when cold.  But 5.5 works great.  I can go from E85 to gas and back without touching a thing.

It's all down to how the kit interacts with the vehicles ECU programming.

I know most conversion boxes have a potentiometer inside that you can change between 0 and 10.  Most ship at settings of 5 or 6.  Has anyone played around with these?  What setting do you find is best for MPG, and what's best for power?

There is no such thing as a 'power' setting. Might want to to a little reading and get some education.

The potentiometer inside regulates how much fuel is injected (more with E85).

As a general rule, the adjustment should be done in the summer time when E85 is truly E85 in order to be as lean as possible. Do not adjust during winter time as E85 becomes winter blend with more gasoline added (and can be E70 easily). With winter blend the mixture will be richer and not cause any issues.

Our boxes are from FuelFlexInternational and the potentiometer goes from 0 to 12. Factory initial setting was 6.

On a Ford E-150 we were able to get down to 5 before a CEL (Check Engine Light) came on, in order to be safe, the dial went up to 5.5. No issues. Fuel mileage went up, quite a bit.

On a Dodge Intrepid we were able to get down to 3.5 before a CEL ...bla bla bla, safe side: setting 4, no issues. Fuel mileage went up, but just a little bit.

On a Ford F-150 it threw a CEL right away, went off at setting 7. But I know that the owner does not do maintenance (over 200,000 miles, original spark plugs/fuel filter and who knows what else).

The changing of the potentiometer is a bit invonvinient as you have to drive quite a bit to see what it does. I did a 20 mile round trip to work every day and changed the setting by 1 click every day, worked out just fine on all the vehicles I did it.

Hope that helps.

Greetings!

Edited by BigGreen