Sign in to follow this  
dan45mcc

70Chevelle E85

Sinclair station in Austin, MN no longer exists - so obviously not selling E85 :)

If all you are going to do is bring bad news you're not welcomed  :D  :P

You are running E85 in your 70 Chevelle?  .. What all did you modify

The engine is E85 specific built. 385 cubic inches (.040 0ver 350 block with a 3.75" stroker crank), 12.8:1 compression, aluminum heads, rather large hydraulic roller cam, Rob Mix modified 750 Holley carb, over 500 HP and 490 lbs. ft. torque. Makes for a real fun ride for sure!!

post-2874-0-54762700-1400548825_thumb.jpg

With almost 13:1 compression and your list of goodies, I bet it really works good with Ethanol. What rear end gears and where does the converter stall to?

4.10 gears and the converter flash stalls to 3500. Running a 700R4 transmission so freeway cruising is joy! Hoping to get to the strip in the next month.

Gee, you didn't need to replace everything in the fuel system to run the oh so horrible corn gas? I didn't either, mine is a 70 GTO with a 13:1 455 using iron 69 vintage heads, 700R4, 3.42 gears, and a small hydraulic roller. 780 Holley I modified runs great. Later this summer I will put the Qjets I built back on it since I have the wideband O2 installed and working good. Need to do some test and tune with the Qjets.

0-60 in mine is quick, it feels like a low 12 second car, but it does like to spin the BFGs.

post-1314-0-68946600-1403570766_thumb.jpg

Thumpin, long time no see! How's life? Any new stations up there north of the bridge?

Not yet. Soo, Iron Mountain, and Ishpeming are all we have. Life got messed up last year, have to rebuild. The bonus is now I have more space, more sources of sugar (maple trees), and my system will be fully integrated into my shops and cabin. Have been working on another 65 LeMans, making it a fun toy. 11.3:1, E85, and of course my standard 455 bottom end. Put my 850 Holley on it, but its not running yet.

Been driving the 70 GTO as often as I can, tuning it, and damn its fun.

Here is the 65.

post-1314-0-75093900-1403581440_thumb.jpg

Good to hear from you Thumpin!  Was getting worried as we hadn't heard from you for a while.

You are our resident homebrew ethanol expert, and resident e85 hotrodder/big block style expert.  We've missed you.  Welcome back.