gasisoutrageous

Thought I should mention this

So I just logged two more fill ups of the Sebring, and noticed I haven't had a mileage number below 18 mpg in nearly 2 months now. Nearly every fill in that time has had over 20 miles per gallon. This from a car that is rated to get 20 highway on E85... I'm getting gas numbers! I really think that consistently using E85, and only E85, for a long period of time, gooses the mpg numbers quite a bit.

It was suggested to me yesterday that since I only ever use E85 (I know I'm still waking up when I type gasoline there, instead of E85!), it would be a great idea to have the fuel map and air to fuel ratio tuned for E85. Can't do it now as I'm strapped for cash, but I will look into it this summer. My only concern is the drastically varying ethanol content.

post-2293-0-10675600-1399031096_thumb.jpg

post-2293-0-38708900-1399031176_thumb.jpg

it would be a great idea to have the fuel map and air to fuel ratio tuned for E85. Can't do it now as I'm strapped for cash, but I will look into it this summer.

YOU and ME both brother!  The Holy Grail of e85 users.  Between the two vehicles in my family, with one trade in there... we have over 5 years of no gasoline!  Both vehicles putting on 10-13k each a year.

timing could be adjusted to take more advantage of the high octane.  fuel air ratio could be adjusted to run leaner, as ethanol burns cooler...  If it wasn't for EPA regulations (over regulation), computer minded hot rodders could be selling ECU programs that could simply be downloaded to your vehicle to do this.

I've been looking, for years now, and from my understanding, you have to pay a lot to buy an electronic device, then pay a lot to have a custom tune made, possibly even more to have it tuned on a dyno.

The folks that do these "custom tunes" from my intel come in two stripes...

1.  Anti-ethanol "GA$$holes" that you would find propagated anti ethanol slander on other forums.... (you know who they are)

2.  Pro-ethanol performance racers.  These folks know ethanol, but their experience and passion is in upping HP/Torque... not MPG

If you find otherwise, please let me know!

2010 Ford Fusion FWD FFV 6 cyl, 3.0 L, Automatic (A6), Regular Gas or E85 compare1bv.png2010_Ford_Fusion.jpg

Gas

19 City

22 Combined

27 Highway

E85

13 City

15 Combined

20 Highway

The above car is what I use for my commuter.  (Actually looks exactly the same)

I've never used gas (why would I) so I can't vouch for those numbers.  But my mileage on e85 is NOTHING like what the EPA is saying I should be getting!  Now 3 years on this car, my commuting is a blend of high speed highway (with some sizable hills), and pretty good moving stop/go traffic in town, with weekend evening short trips <1mile.  That said, I'm setting right at 21mpg for my long term average.  I usually do the miles/gallons math, and check this against the digital calculation under the speedometer...  they are +/- .3mpg... so I trust this method of calculation.  So much so that I've almost stopped calculating it manually.  About once every month or two I'll check to confirm.

That said, my e85 numbers are more what you would think you would have for gasoline!  When I do nothing but highway miles (not 80mph on the interstate), I'm getting more like 23-24.

Imagine if I could adjust the tune to take better advantage of this?

Edited by HuskerFlex

There are tuners out there that can adjust things Husker, and then people who know how to take those and tune further. Diablosport now makes ine for the Avenger and 200 with the Pentastar, and is supposedly going to make one for the older Avengers and Sebrings like Aarons with both the 2.7 and 3.5 V-6's. The Feds haven't put up any roadblocks to these guys doing these mods so long as the emissions equipment remains in place, but the biggest issue has more to do with the computer systems in the vehicles and possible demand for the devices in the first place. In the Avenger/200 community, we have raised quite a stink about the lack of speed parts for our cars, tuners and suspension goodies in particular, and once Diablosport figured out how to crack the computer's codes and tested a couple vehicles on the 87-93 octane canned tunes, they then released the tunes for the cars that could be downloaded on an existing device if you had one for a different vehicle, or you could go wnd buy a new device like I would have to for about $600. There is a third party tuner/programmer who has taken the info from guys who have made passes with these tuners in their cars on any of the normal blends as well as E85, then further tune the cars from that, which makes a not exactly mild mannored sedan even more willing to destroy it's own front tires. Unfortunetly, only one of the guys I know who have them for my car can say what their mileage is on any fuel as they can't keep their foot out of the skinny pedal to get good mileage readings.

So I just logged two more fill ups of the Sebring, and noticed I haven't had a mileage number below 18 mpg in nearly 2 months now.

What's your average speed? (Is most of your driving at 55 or 75 mph?)

What's your average speed? (Is most of your driving at 55 or 75 mph?)

That makes a huge difference.. I can Get 28-31 at 55-60 in the HHR .. but drops to 23-25 at 75.   Although some places I get 30mpg at 70-75 , like Interstate 94 going through Maple Grove , Brooklyn Center , Brooklyn Park MN where they have  Concrete barricades that separate east/west lanes.. what is that Rick about a 5 mile stretch

The number one rule in hypermiling is to minimize changes in speed. I use cruise control as if it's my job. I also turn off electronic stability program, or ESP. This is a safety feature that is apparently designed to increase traction. It wastes fuel, and isn't all that helpful anyways. In fact, as soon as I start my car, I turn on cruise control and turn off ESP.

Yes, I typically drive well below the speed limit the majority of the time. My usual speed is 65. I vary it however, with the flow of traffic. If there are enough semis and other cars, it is difficult to pass slower vehicles at 65, so I often have to speed up and then slow down once I get back into my original lane. When that happens, I'll drive 72-74 mph. I also find that I'm never usually in a hurry if I'm out at 2 am... and as such, I'll slow down to 60 on the freeway at night.

Because my philosophy is to minimize changes in speed, I usually round curves and turns VERY quickly. I try to make as much of my driving freeway driving as possible, even if it means going out of my way. An example is the route I take to my dad's place. Instead of driving on Saginaw, and dealing with numerous Stoplights and traffic, I go out of my way and take 127 and 69. I contend that even going this far, it still saves fuel.

I've attached a picture of the route. Don't worry, the address shown for the start is a convenience store in the area.

post-2293-0-33043700-1399090544_thumb.png