Sign in to follow this  
scott0999

doing a corrosion test

I picked up a 1/2 gallon of E85. I submerged my stock fuel pump, fuel line, injector orings, and a brass barb in it

just wanted to see if anything happens for peace of mind

im planning on switching my brass fittings for stainless or else nickel plate them regardless of how this test goes.

e85test158dj0.jpg

sofar no signs of corrosion at all.

one thing I did notice its its cleaning the parts like crazy!

I heard the fuel filter should be changed 500 miles after running E85 since it cleans out the gas tank ect. now I can see that being correct

It will be neat to see how this goes, although I don't know if it will be a good reflection of how your fuel system might corrode.  You may have various galvanic corrosion effects and geometry effects that aren't fully reflected in the bucket.

I've been doing a corrosion test on 5052 aluminum and a rubber seal test for over two years on parts for my airplane. One guy on the airplane forum said it wasn't representative because it was in a sealed jar and the aluminum was submerged so I put the pieces( the aluminum was leaned up against the side of the can so it was half in and out of the fuel) in a coffee can and poked a hole in the plastic lid and placed in the same environment as my plane. After almost 6 months, still no problems. Six months ago I also put a comparable rubber seal in 100LL avgas and it actually looked worse with a haze on it but really no difference. Another test I just did for that forum was to put some E85 in a glass jar without the lid in at times up to 100% humidity for 30 hours and then placed in the freezer over night to see if it would have phase separation----no separation.

Marty