HuskerFlex

Trash to Ethanol facility in Iowa about to begin construction

http://www.ethanolproducer.com/articles/10893/fiberight-begins-construction-of-waste-processing-facility

Fiberight Begins Construction of Waste Processing Facility

Waste-to-energy firm Fiberight LLC is beginning construction of its waste processing facility in Marion, Iowa. “We are now building,” said Craig Stuart-Paul, chief executive of the company, noting that workers are scheduled to be onsite April 7...

...The Marion facility will be one element of the company’s hub and spoke approach. According to Stuart-Paul, Winbco has been selected as the general contractor for the project, while Amec was named construction management engineer.  “We are providing an alternative waste disposal solution for the city of Marion and Cedar Rapids,” Stuart-Paul said. Trucks will deliver trash to the facility, where it will be partially process before it is shipped to the Blairstown facility for conversion into ethanol. In addition to isolating biofuel feedstock from municipal solid waste (MSW) Fiberight’s technology also separates recyclable components, such as plastics and metals. The company is in negotiations to build a similar waste recycling plant in Iowa City.

Both the Marion waste sorting facility and the Blairstown ethanol plant are expected to be operational this year. Stuart-Paul noting that his company has more than 4,000 hours of experience operating the technology, which was gained as its demonstration facility in Virginia. “We know that all of the unit operations, the integration, all the core elements work very well,” he said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS is the game changer we've all been waiting for.  Watch these guys build it, prove it can be done, work some kinks out to make it more reliable, dependable, profitable and replicable then look out for the next ethanol boom. Hub and spoke facilities springing up in and around major metro areas all over not just THIS country, but the world!  Producing ethanol from waste directly where it will be consumed.  How could you have anything more simple than that!

Might have to be a must do summer field trip in the family FFV minivan next year when it is up and running! ;)

Excellent! I intend on following updates on it as well. I haven't been to Iowa since 2006 when I briefly went through the state with the family, but I would love to get an opportunity to tour some of these cellulosic/trash ethanol plants that are going up there! In my opinion, it would be an enormous victory when the success of these plants is proven, and we can build some of them in the northeast... increasing supply and decreasing likelihood of gouging to the scale we are seeing!

I will have to mention this to someone in the Iowa Tourism Board... 

"Ethno-tourism"....  Iowa has some very unique cutting edge ethanol plants that could be attractions if marketed to the right demographic.

As for making a trip, simply heading down I80 there are 3 plants not too far off the interstate.

1.  The Galva Iowa plant (using the cellulose found in distillers grains) is not far off I80 in the Quad cities area just across the Mississippi River.

3.  The Marrion-Blairstown trash-ethanol plant is not much further down I80, and about 20 minutes north.

2.  The Nevada du-pont corn stover plant is just north of DesMoines about 20 minutes north again.

The POET project Liberty in Emmetsburg (northwest IA), and the GreenPlains algea plant in Shenandoah (southwest IA) are a ways off I-80, but if you really wanted to make a tour... they could be done with one nice "loop" at the end of your trip.

Fiberight has been my favorite for along time..took a trip down to Blairstown 2 years ago (that's where the actual ethanol plant is)   Marion Ia is where they will separate the trash

Again with the HUB and SPOKE approach .. get your feedstock from a 50 mile radius and serve that same radius with the end products

They we're originally talking about  setting up 150 of these smaller 10 million gallon trash to ethanol plants around the Country near mid size cities

They we're originally talking about  setting up 150 of these smaller 10 million gallon trash to ethanol plants around the Country near mid size cities

THIS is the dream of us ethanol as an alternative fuel people.  150 ethanol processors and local distribution points set up across the country at the site where the fuel will be locally consumed, using a feedstock that is considered waste, and not subject to market, weather or political manipulations.  Plus you factor in that this will extend the lives of landfills tremendously... how many more "wins" could you put into this?

Guess if all the fuel would be specifically distributed to only blender pumps that priced the fuel extremely competitively... THAT would be one two more! :D