dan45mcc

Next New Vehicle.. What to Get Nissan Leaf , Chevy Volt , Ford Focus , Jeep Wrangler

Wow, I was really impressed with the Jeep snow vids...  the one where it's going through an easy four feet of snow was really incredible.

I'm a Ford guy, but you already have a passenger vehicle.   Just kinda strikes me as repetitive utility.

The Volt is a really nice vehicle.. The best of all worlds.. but still, it's a passenger car...

Back in 2010, we had a terrible winter where my Town and Country got stuck repeatedly in my alley.   It had good tires, it's just that the snow was so deep that once the front end got snow packed under it enough to take the weight off, I was stuck.  

That's when I got my Escape, and I love it but I sure do miss the cargo space of that Van.

A friend of mine just picked up a 2014 Chevy Equinox, and that's a beautiful vehicle but I've been told it's gas mileage is mediocre, and even worse on E85.   He's gonna test that theory out for me.

I think I will always have a 4wd in my vehicle tool-box.   In fact, once I get my old F250 up and running, I'll have two.   At least until I find someone to take that 250 off my hands or I trade it in on something for my daughter.

My vote?   I'd find something 4wd, but probably not a Jeep (Wrangler).  I know of too many people who have rolled theirs, and the side impact protection is pretty much the worst in the industry.

I don't really care for the new Jeeps either..  I like the commander.. but wow.. $$!!!   The Liberty just got a lot of bad press it seemed..

Wow, I was really impressed with the Jeep snow vids...  the one where it's going through an easy four feet of snow was really incredible.

I'm a Ford guy, but you already have a passenger vehicle.   Just kinda strikes me as repetitive utility.

The Volt is a really nice vehicle.. The best of all worlds.. but still, it's a passenger car...

Back in 2010, we had a terrible winter where my Town and Country got stuck repeatedly in my alley.   It had good tires, it's just that the snow was so deep that once the front end got snow packed under it enough to take the weight off, I was stuck.  

That's when I got my Escape, and I love it but I sure do miss the cargo space of that Van.

A friend of mine just picked up a 2014 Chevy Equinox, and that's a beautiful vehicle but I've been told it's gas mileage is mediocre, and even worse on E85.   He's gonna test that theory out for me.

I think I will always have a 4wd in my vehicle tool-box.   In fact, once I get my old F250 up and running, I'll have two.   At least until I find someone to take that 250 off my hands or I trade it in on something for my daughter.

My vote?   I'd find something 4wd, but probably not a Jeep (Wrangler).  I know of too many people who have rolled theirs, and the side impact protection is pretty much the worst in the industry.

I don't really care for the new Jeeps either..  I like the commander.. but wow.. $$!!!   The Liberty just got a lot of bad press it seemed..

Agree on the Equinox.. terrible MPG ..

I'm leaning towards the Volt BUT that still wont do me any good clearance wise.and thats really the issue for me ..getting Clearance for winter driving

Another Idea I'm passing around is get a 2011 Volt and then get an older beat up Jeep that can be parked most of the time except when we get the heavy snow

Amazing aren't they.. very cool .. I don't really need that but who wouldn't want that ! I'd like to play in the dirt once in a while

I really like the un refined look of the wrangler..  Look at all the SUVS going down the road ..all pretty much the same .. If I am going to spend 20-30k I want something different....Volt falls in that category as well

Alright..  so I actually saw one of the new Jeep Cherokee's this morning up close, and I'm gonna back off on my "Don't like the front End" comment a little, it's looks better in person than in the photo's....

I do like the Grand Cherokee, but once again..  $$!!

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket

Not only on the front end for vehicle purchase... but also on the upkeep/repairs... those vehicles are expensive to maintain and fix.  From the experience of friends and family that were FORMER owners of the critters.  Still, they all loved them, but didn't regret selling them from a financial point of view.

Agree on the Equinox.. terrible MPG ..

I'm leaning towards the Volt BUT that still wont do me any good clearance wise.and thats really the issue for me ..getting Clearance for winter driving

Another Idea I'm passing around is get a 2011 Volt and then get an older beat up Jeep that can be parked most of the time except when we get the heavy snow

If you're looking that way, you could get an older liberty 2002 or 3, or a 99 to 01 cherokee and save some money.  the cherokee's still had the inline 4.0L that was more or less indesctructable....both options would be good cars in the snow

If you want something that goes thru the snow, has AWD and is flex-fuel, you might find a Volvo XC70.   Yes, some Volvo 2.5L engines were flex-fuel and all are turbo charged.    But, good luck in trying to find one with low miles and in your price range.