dan45mcc

Next New Vehicle.. What to Get Nissan Leaf , Chevy Volt , Ford Focus , Jeep Wrangler

$23,000 K  Price Limit..

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited   23K

2012 Chevy Volt   23K

2013  Nissan Leaf   23k  (2011  from around 15k !)

2104 Ford Focus Titanium

Having a Manwich for a Jeep Wrangler..refusing too look a the impracticability of it   :D

Actually thinking would be cool to own the Nissan Leaf for around town.. I'd keep my HHR and get the Leaf for my wife back and forth to work..and I'd still get to play with it (get straight to the point I'm looking for  anew toy lol)

The Ford Focus ..really nice little Car but pretty much same as owning the HHR

The Chevy Volt.. best of both Worlds .. electric and E85 (no hesitation at all running E85 in it)  and we would still have our other E85 HHR

I certainly wouldn't mind having the focus given how amazingly high the fuel economy is on E85, but the Volt is a better option if you already have an FFV. It would be awesome to have an electric car, but obviously flex fuel was the only alternative fuel within my reach (though I'm not complaining).

I loathe Nissan because they don't seem to make all that dependable of vehicles (and it's foreign), and I remember they had some safety issues with the air bags a number of years ago. I remember in an interview the CEO had said about the issue, "I don't care". But anyways, the Volt is made in the heart of auto country, in Hamtramck, Michigan. Definitely the route I would go.

HI Dan,

Bear in mind the Volt in the winter will be gas-only below a certain threshold, but I don't recall what that temperature is. This means below x° (maybe it's -10°), you won't have EV mode, just gas.

Personally, I'd go Volt. It's a dual power supply vehicle, a hatch back, and when it's cold, the engine runs to provide heat.

Leaf? no, just no. You don't get the range advantage you get with the Volt and if you're built like me, you'll look like Bob Parr (Mr. Incredable) did in his little blue car.

Focus.........I'm just not a Ford person.

4dr JK. I despise those things with a passion, it's not a Jeep anymore, it's a 4dr K5 Blazer without the grunt or utility, but much more luxury. Only way to get more power or mileage it to swap a Chevy LS, late model Hemi, or some sort of diesel into it.

Bjoe  I have always thought the Volt makes the most sense (instead of either or ..E85 /Gas or Electric ).. electric for city and E85  for long trips 

Here is part of the problem..so this year we had a ton of Snow and the plows are always blocking our Alley and Driveway with piles of Snow .. I worked the late shift one night Driving City Bus until 9 pm and had to be back at 6 Am .. I got stuck in the HHR with NEW tires even after driving over a hump of Snow the plows left at our driveway entrance.. so it was nearly Midnight before I get to bed .  That's what got me on this Jeep Wrangler kick .. to have one vehicle that no matter if we get 3 feet of Snow .... I'm getting through.

I love my little HHR but it's terrible in winter..unless the roads are cleared well.. so instead of looking at AWD , or a Standard 4 wheel Drive .. I went directly looking at the BEAST ..the Wrangler

Some really cool moments in the video ..check out Starting at 2.46

Dan, a lot of AWD vehicles will get you thru the snow. You don't need a Jeep, unless you plan to go where there are no roads.

That's the difference between your winter and ours.... We had just cold weather, where you and Minneapolis to your south, got the snow and we're only about 3 hours apart (you much closer to the equator and you got all the snow). :D

Dan, a lot of AWD vehicles will get you thru the snow. You don't need a Jeep, unless you plan to go where there are no roads.

That's the difference between your winter and ours.... We had just cold weather, where you and Minneapolis to your south, got the snow and we're only about 3 hours apart (you much closer to the equator and you got all the snow). :D

Yeah I know that .. just pointing out if I am going to get  something specifically to get me through ANYTHING.. then yeah the Jeep is it.  You know how every winter we all start getting real grumpy this time a year (still have a foot of Snow on the ground) and we swear we are moving to Florida and then spring FINALLY shows up in May ..june lol.. we calm down and decide it snt so bad and well stick around one more year..

Well I'm at the time a Year where I swear I am getting a Jeep ..  :D

Ever thought about the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk? Better power to weight than the 4dr JK, and if it has the 3.6l, it will be flex fuel ;)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nxqL320GSZ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by BJoe